Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbler Medium

Feedback Score
    I tried brasso in the tumbler and it didn't work well. At. All. Use something made for the tumbler or some form of car wax.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I tened to use Corn cob on range brass - gets most of the gunk off of it.

I use walnut media for polishing loaded brass/removing lube. That is just my way. I find it more efficent post decap/trimming to leave the brass lubed and then reload, hence final polish is with loaded rounds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You can get walnut at the pet store (Petco, etc.). It the lizard bedding. It's dusty though, so you need to run your tumbler with the lid on or add some polish to the stuff to knock the dust down.

Another option is a sand blasting supply store. Someone here suggested this to me. They said the walnut that they sell for blasting is much lower in dust mess.
    Yes the pet store stuff is much more dusty. I buy 50# bags at a sandblasting supply company for less than $20. I resell it but tell people where I get it as it is more a convenience for the customer than a profit center. Some guys cannot be bothered. The stuff at the sand blasting supply store is much less dusty and cheaper.

You can get multiple "grits" of walnut. 12-20 is what I and most people use. A smaller grit, 20-40, is usually available as well and I sometimes use that if the 12-20 is out.

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Currently I am using an old bottle of liquid Turtle Wax. I had been using Midway's liquid polish but tried the Turtle wax one day when I ran out. I think the Turtle Wax works better.

I put two tablespoons in my standard sized tumbler about 2/3 full of media, let it run for a few minutes to disperse, then add the brass.

Someone told me that the polish should be ammonia-free because ammonia will cause corrosion but I am not sure about that. I think Brasso has ammonia in it.
    You need to use Ammonia free brass polish as the ammonia will weaken the brass. Don't do it.

I use the Dillon stuff (I sell it so that is what is around) but the midway or berrys stuff works well too.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ammonia will deteriorate the brass. But in the diluted amount we're talking about, it's probably negligible. The Brass will be worn out or lost before the small amount of ammonia in the polish ruins it.

I think brasso is effective because it polishes off a thin layer of the brass with each application. Ammonia is used to remove copper fouling from barrels, and Brass has a significant amount of copper in its make up...
    I don't want to weaken my brass and ammonia will weaken it. Especially if you leave the brass in the media after you are done for a while and don't immediately separate it from the media. Why take the risk?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by ARx3; 02-21-09 at 20:59.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    I get my crushed walnut from a local feed store for about $18 per 50lb sack. Cant beat that price over a $12 5lb jug online. Same for corn cob media, get it at a local feed store for a ton less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12