Page 185 of 408 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is also a myth. There is nothing in the ROE or Laws of Land Warfare that prohibits the use of the M2 against personnel.

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/killing-myth

Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Yeah, I find it interesting you can shoot "equipment" with a .50, but not people. But people carrying gear is fine.

Oh, and so is artillery, JDAM's, TOW's, tank cannon, etc etc etc. But not that scary .50!

In keeping with the thread, I heard the same shock-wave BS. Supposedly a Marine married to a neighbor.

What anti gun people need to understand about gun control: It's like peeing in your pants on a cold night in Ranger School. It feels pretty good at first, but it is certainly not a solution to anything.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Where to start??? Many variations on a theme coming from behind the counter:

"I would not trust XYZ 1911, they use MIM..." then proceeds to say: "I only trust Glocks"

"I would not trust (XTP|Silvertip|Sabre|whatever) as they don't expand as well..." then 5 minutes later: "Of course, all I'll use is GI Hardball, it will stop a (Dragon|Savage|druggie|whatever) in it's tracks!"

"I don't trust anything but Colt 1911 (Or Glocks)" then proceeds to tell you the $500-700 worth of parts and smith work you need to do to make it reliable

"6.8SPC/Grendel/300BLK has excessive recoil" then 2 minutes later "The M-14 (or pump 12g) is all you need and with the modern versions is an ideal home defense weapon"

"The (PPQ/M&P/whatever) does not have enough capacity" then proceeds to talk about his 1911 in 9mm as it's "All he needs"

"40's flip too much" comparing a Alloy or Poly frame carry .40 with a steel 1911

"The problem with stamped receiver guns like the HK G3/91 is they are too heavy" then proceeds "the M14 is the perfect battle rifle"

"The problem with the HK G3/91 is the Ergo's" then proceeds (again) with "the M14 is the perfect battle rifle"

"Would not trust that (LLama 1911/Mini-14/SKS) as they are unreliable" then proceeds "I won't shoot (Steel/WWB/Junk) ammo in my (1911/AR/Glock) as it's too weak"

"7.62x39 is too weak to hunt with, you need 300 Blk" (No slight to 300, this was not an informed comment, clearly did not know how close the two were)

Learned that a bullet .001" larger and going 200 fps faster is somehow a weaker caliber??? (.357 or .38+p vs 9mm, similar with .40 vs 10mm, etc)

"Don't buy (.280/7x57/7mm08) as it's hard to find ammo" then proceeds to sell the guy a weatherby/STW/WSM

And that Deer know the difference between in identical bullets going 50fps speed difference

Comments negatively on bolt actions with synthetic stocks as "cheap" while wearing a Glock or XD

Won't carry Colt AR's as the "quality has gone downhill" while peddling Rogio/noname AR receivers and DPMS LPK's

Loose upper/lower fit is a "Build issue" and that you need to drill and tap AR receivers for setscrews to keep from losing springs/detents (How often do you change the RE/Stock?)

DPMS makes parts for Colt GI contract

The whole "Because they don't make a .46" bit now that he has a Kimber after years of defending .380 as his carry pistol

"Our GI's need M14's" based on the whole M4 vs PKM comparison. (My serving son's comment: "that's why we have 240 Bravo's!")

"Mouse Gun" comments from CMP/NM types with $3000 M1A's and how you have to spend that to beat 1-1.5 MOA

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    And with regard to camo wearing customers.... somehow it's OK for countermen to wear Olive 5.11 pants, Magnum police boots, "shoot me first" vests, and have Burr/Flattop/High&Tight haircuts? And are neither veterans or LEO??? For the counterdroids under 30 this is almost a uniform at one mega-LGS

And the "Gun Shop Swagger", wannabees (and even the occasional old man) who are now invincible since they carry in the shop.

Bubba's know no boundaries- customer or counterman!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    And with regard to camo wearing customers.... somehow it's OK for countermen to wear Olive 5.11 pants, Magnum police boots, "shoot me first" vests, and have Burr/Flattop/High&Tight haircuts? And are neither veterans or LEO??? For the counterdroids under 30 this is almost a uniform at one mega-LGS

And the "Gun Shop Swagger", wannabees (and even the occasional old man) who are now invincible since they carry in the shop.

Bubba's know no boundaries- customer or counterman!!!
    I think it looks stupid where guys behind the counter insist on wearing tacti-cool gear. I've never met a cop or serviceman who dresses like that when they're not on duty. As for the buzz cuts and military haircuts, I think it depends on the reason. If your hair is cut like that because you want to look high speed, it's laughable. If you do it simply because it's low maintenance, that's understandable. I started buzzing my hair about five years ago because I was sick of putting gel in it and it looked stupid without gel according to my wife.

There was a guy who worked at store I used to stop in from time to time up in CT when I lived there. He ALWAYS wore one of those Crye Multicam combat shirts and multicam ACU pants whenever he was working or going to any of the other gun stores. I got a lot of nuggets of wisdom from him:

The 5.56 is only lethal within about 50 yards and that's only if score a direct hit to the head or the heart. If you get hit in the arm, you won't even feel it. But a .308 will punch a hole the size of a fist through your chest or even take your arm clean off at up to 800 meters.

SOCOM is switching to the SCAR-H because the AR is too unreliable and the 5.56 just can't kill reliably.

The reason the military switched to the AR is because the standards in the military dropped and so the weight and recoil of the M14 and 7.62x51 was just too much for soldiers who were not in as good a shape as they were in the old days.

Colt is the worst quality you can get because it's milspec, and milspec is always from the lowest bidder. Only SOF units get good quality stuff.

Glock is the only pistol on the market worth owning. 1911s are too intricate to be a good combat gun.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just had a loaded 12 gauge pointed right at my head with the muzzle only a few inches away today at the range by a Saudi prince who had his finger on the trigger and the safety off. Set down my rifle after shooting it and turned around to get more ammo when I see the 3/4" black hole right in my face. I immediately moved offline and ducked down while simultaneously grabbing the barrel and pushing it up and right. I went for my carry gun at the same time with my other hand ready to draw. The guy said "I just want help with the gun". I took the gun from him and yelled "Don't you ever point a firearm at anyone again!!! You could have killed me! Do it again and I will draw on you!" I cycled the action and out popped a shot shell from the chamber. I showed him safe gun handling after that and how to use the gun, packed up my shit and got the hell out of there. Told my buddy who is the RO what happened and he went out and set them straight. They tried pulling the "I'm a Saudi prince" thing. He cut them off said" Listen! I don't give a damn who you are back home. This is America. This is my range. Here, I'm God. As far as your concerned I'm Allah. Follow the rules or get out! "

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Last week

Gun store owner: I'm looking for someone who can work on 1911s

Customer: I've been wanting to take a class from that Tac TV guy so I can help you out soon.

Me: Larry Vickers?

Customer: yeah that's it
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Larry likes 1911's?
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longball View Post
    Oh the irony. Sad indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I understand you are doing it for your own amusement. I would offer a bit of advice, however. When you throw chum in the water to watch the sharks thrash, don't be surprised or offended when a hungry one jumps in the boat with you.
    It bugs me that I have been accused falsely of being an asshole and a troll on the basis of my statement that I sometimes call folks "son" for amusement:

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    ........I love to call people "son" to have a little fun. Every now and then I will get a little rise especially from an old man.......)
    As I said, every now and then I will get a little rise from my "victim" but most, by far most accept the humor in the spirit it was intended. In fact the only time I can remember getting any more than a minor rise was from an old man calling on behalf of the Census Bureau. I had been selected to complete the comprehensive Census form and declined. They had my phone number and assigned this old man to call me. He was relentless. He called at least 20 times. No matter what I said he politely insisted I complete the form. Until I called him "son". I was able to get under his skin enough after five calls and calling him "son" 20 or so times that he handed the task off to someone else. But I digress. For the record I am not an asshole or a troll. I await Serious Student's and longball's retractions.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-15-13 at 06:59.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Larry likes 1911's?
    Uhhhhhh........ He's only one of the world's top experts on them. Figured anyone around here would have picked up on his love affair with them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Last week

Gun store owner: I'm looking for someone who can work on 1911s

Customer: I've been wanting to take a class from that Tac TV guy so I can help you out soon.

Me: Larry Vickers?

Customer: yeah that's it
    1911 operator – 2 days / $450 1 day of range drills using a 1911 pistol; drills are specifically designed and tailored to highlight key features of using a 1911 pistol. The 2nd day begins with detail disassembly and assembly along with an operator level troubleshooting class to allow the end user to recognize problems that may develop – I generally do some on the spot gunsmithing on students guns that is included – the day wraps up with some range fire to highlight test fire procedures. This class has been very positively received Max class size is 16

1911 armorer – 3 days – $1100 This class takes things to the next level beyond the operators class in terms of troubleshooting , identifying, and fixing problems that may develop with your 1911. Fit and function and replacement/tuning of various parts are discussed such as safeties, triggers, hammers and sears , mag catches, check and correct barrel fit, complete reliablility work, extractors, ejectors, sights, etc. . An individual will be able to completely maintain and do limited custom work on a 1911 pistol after this class. In addition zeroing and test fire procedures are discussed. No 1911 specific range fire beyond zeroing and test fire is planned into the schedule but an extra day can be added to do so if the class desires. Max class size is 12 – in addition a specific tool and part list (student supplied) is part of this course

1911 gunsmithing; – 6 days- $2375 This picks up where the armorers course leaves off and allows the student to build a complete custom 1911 from a box of oversize gunsmith fit parts; complete details of fitting an oversize match barrel, slide to frame fit, fitting and blending thumb and grip safeties, trigger job, complete blending of all components for a custom pistol are covered. In addition metal checkering is discussed and practiced on a limited scale. Recommended parts and sources are also covered. This is the complete package and is a great start to anyone wanting to do get into building custom 1911′s. Students of this course have had very positive comments thus far. Max class size is 7 and a specific tool and part list (student supplied) is part of this course.
    http://vickerstactical.com/training-...ourses-pistol/

Page 185 of 408 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast