Page 285 of 408 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    Been a while since I posted in this thread, and I know it’s not a gun store, but yesterday’s range trip was just that good! Might be a little long winded though…

It’s a public range and only has 2x 100, 50, & 25 yard lanes. My buddy and I took the 50 lanes as they were the only ones open and had been shooting maybe ten minutes when two fudd’s and a woman show up in their mid-60’s and take up position about 15 ft behind us waiting for any lane to open.

About 10 mins later a group at the 100 yd line asked us if they could have a 50 lane, and even though it’s kind of cluttered having all of our gear around one table, we obliged out of courtesy.

While wrapping up a string of shots with his pistol, my buddy was shooting pretty fast for 50 yards, and even though most shots were on the silhouette. I was taking my time with my G26 and had a tighter group. I hear the fudd’s mention:

Fudd #1 “Now that’s a good way to waste ammo.”
    Fudd #2 “Yup.”

I look at my buddy and tell him loud enough so they can hear, “Oh no, I guess you’re wasting ammo at a gun range!”

They don’t respond. At this point we’d cleared the second bench for the 100 yd group, but before they could even start to move here came the fudd’s to claim it – unfortunately the 100 yd group didn’t mind.

I had been using the bench to sight in one of my guns and was standing reloading when the fudds got to the bench. One proceeds to put his ammo can’s on my seat… I give him a couple mins, perhaps he’s just getting situated, but it remained in the seat. I told him that I’m going to be using that seat in a moment, so he finally moved it (his entire bench top was clear…) The benches are fixed but the seats rotate, so he moves his right next to mind to where when sitting we can lean over and literally touch they’re that close.

The fudd’s then pull out a… Hi Point carbine… and start blasting away – and missing – every shot. Their first shot was nearly 20 ft on the ground in front of the target. Keep in mind, we’re the ones “wasting ammo” when we can hit the target!

According to one, he couldn’t see the peep sights, when the reality is he probably didn’t know how to use them.

After throwing 50 or so rounds in the general direction of the target, they put the Hi Point down and switch to a 1911. Apparently 230g .45 ball ammo is a “heavy load” and is “more powerful” than normal.

They hand the lady a .22 pistol, so while she’s sitting with her legs crossed on the bench, she’s resting her elbows on the table and holding the pistol nearly up to her eyes, and then proceeds to press the trigger as fast as she can…

After a while my buddy and I were close to heading out when the older fudd looks at me and says as he’s holding a pistol case, “If you ever need a pistol, (he slowly opens it, and whispers) the judge!”

I stare at him for a second and mention that I shoot glock’s and left. Too bad I left the SCAR17 at home... I'm sure the fudd's would have loved that PWS brake slapping them in the face!

Perhaps I was an ass but these guys were the epitome of fudd’s.
    Last edited by Ark1443; 01-16-16 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not in a gun store but Dumbest thing read on a forum (I'm sure the topic by itself would fill up faster than this one). Anyway, reading through another forum just now and one guy proclaims that 9mm ball is the way to go for SD. Apparently HP ammo is all a marketing gimmick by ammo manufacturers to sell the same ammo (performance wise) at a higher price!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Not in a gun store but Dumbest thing read on a forum (I'm sure the topic by itself would fill up faster than this one). Anyway, reading through another forum just now and one guy proclaims that 9mm ball is the way to go for SD. Apparently HP ammo is all a marketing gimmick by ammo manufacturers to sell the same ammo (performance wise) at a higher price!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Oh the headaches. Some people are idiots. Ran into a guy once who claimed something similar, the less insane remarks he made, was that expanding 9mm JHP was a myth perpetrated by the government so people would buy 9mm and be unable to effectively kill because 9mm JHP just icepicked through all objects doing next to no damage, and this was backed up because LE carried .40 which was like a magnum 10mm(Think about that statement for a while) and could blow junks out of people, and that the real killers carried .45acp because it was so powerful that it was always a one shot kill and that the US mil had to go to 9mm because the .45 didn't meet the requirements of the Geneva Convention. I was looking around for hidden cameras while this asshole was speaking because I was seriously thinking this was some ****ed up joke because of the complete amount of bullshit this guy was spewing and that wasn't even the most outrageous claims he made.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I was looking around for hidden cameras
    LOL, it really is a strange thing. You have to wonder how people get so stupid. They actually sound as though they spent time learning the nonsense they speak.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Went to pick up a gun from a LGS yesterday. A friend came with me to see about replacing the sights on his Glock.

While walking around waiting for the clerk to find my order we see a guy, maybe early 50’s, working on a gun on the counter. He’s assembling a 1911 with the help of a YouTube video. We watched him working for a couple of minutes, pausing the video once in a while as he caught up.

My friend asks him if they have HD night sights for his Glock. The guy says “sure, and for $35 I can install them for you!”

My friend asks him how long he’s been a gunsmith, to which he replied “over 20 years”.

I could tell he wanted to ask the obvious “20 years and you need a YouTube video to assemble a 1911?”, but he refrained.

They had some polite conversation while I filled out my paperwork, but not surprisingly no sights were installed that day…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Went to pick up a gun from a LGS yesterday. A friend came with me to see about replacing the sights on his Glock.

While walking around waiting for the clerk to find my order we see a guy, maybe early 50’s, working on a gun on the counter. He’s assembling a 1911 with the help of a YouTube video. We watched him working for a couple of minutes, pausing the video once in a while as he caught up.

My friend asks him if they have HD night sights for his Glock. The guy says “sure, and for $35 I can install them for you!”

My friend asks him how long he’s been a gunsmith, to which he replied “over 20 years”.

I could tell he wanted to ask the obvious “20 years and you need a YouTube video to assemble a 1911?”, but he refrained.

They had some polite conversation while I filled out my paperwork, but not surprisingly no sights were installed that day…
    What kinds of guns did he have experience gunsmithing? If he is not someone who has worked on the 1911 before, or much beyond basic cleaning, it is conceivable that he wouldn't know the full details of the gun once broken down. Now, if he stated he was a master 1911 smith then this is very different, but if he just stated he was a gunsmith more delving into background of as gunsmith might be required before slandering him as a joke. I say this because I know, and have shot with, a man who has 20 if not more years as a gunsmith and is a master gunsmith, who is the head smith for an gun company, or at least their US side of the company, but still he knows the guns that are with in that company extremely well, it is kind of his job. He has also helped design, gun parts which are very effective for the shooting sports that they are intended. And I am pretty damn certain if I handed him a 1911, or hell for that matter a Glock, he wouldn't know where to start on a detail strip, if not a field strip. They aren't something that he works with, or has worked with really since it is not the type of firearms that he deals with day in and day out.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I would still find it weird that a 20 year gunsmith would need to look at a you tube video to put a 1911 back together. Since he's doing the work on a counter it most likely wasn't a complete tear down, but who knows. All I know is that I would be lacking confidence in him to touch anything I own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    I would still find it weird that a 20 year gunsmith would need to look at a you tube video to put a 1911 back together. Since he's doing the work on a counter it most likely wasn't a complete tear down, but who knows. All I know is that I would be lacking confidence in him to touch anything I own.
    Again, 20 years gunsmithing what? If pistols, or specifically 1911s, yeah, there is an issue if they need a youtube video to assemble one, and honestly, I would likely be skiddish about having him work on a handgun, or any gun at that point, again if they claim to be an expert on that gun, but then again, just because he is a gunsmith it does not mean he is experienced with 1911s, or for that matter actually a trained gunsmith, which I am making the assumption here. Lots of garage gun smiths who know jack shit, and if we are honest, it is why I am very particular about who works on my guns because a lot with those 20 years are self trained and know jack shit, JMB is more of an aberration here then the rule. But, on the flip side just because someone is a trained gunsmith, it does not mean they are experts or well versed on all guns. You could have someone who is a trained gunsmith who has spend years specializing in rifles who might not know the first thing about a 1911 or revolvers, so without more information I wouldn't being claiming he is an idiot, he could be, and if self taught, yeah, chances are until proven otherwise I will likely consider him a fudd with proper tools, but he could be skilled and just not versed on a particular firearm. Now again, if he claimed to know his way around the 1911, yeah, he is a joke and likely not to be trusted working on something, but again, until that is verified, I wouldn't say one way or the other. Flip side, just because a gunsmith can detail strip a 1911 blindfolded doesn't mean I am going to trust him working on an AR15 either, or M1A, or other rifle if they haven't worked on them before, or only in limited fashion, swings both ways there. Which, I kind of why I end up, if I need proper gunsmithing, I am likely going to be sending the gun off to someone who is highly experienced with the gun, or a certified armorer, or back to the factory, and not my local gun store. But, on the same note, not going to just assume something until I am proven otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Again, 20 years gunsmithing what? If pistols, or specifically 1911s, yeah, there is an issue if they need a youtube video to assemble one, and honestly, I would likely be skiddish about having him work on a handgun, or any gun at that point, again if they claim to be an expert on that gun, but then again, just because he is a gunsmith it does not mean he is experienced with 1911s, or for that matter actually a trained gunsmith, which I am making the assumption here. Lots of garage gun smiths who know jack shit, and if we are honest, it is why I am very particular about who works on my guns because a lot with those 20 years are self trained and know jack shit, JMB is more of an aberration here then the rule. But, on the flip side just because someone is a trained gunsmith, it does not mean they are experts or well versed on all guns. You could have someone who is a trained gunsmith who has spend years specializing in rifles who might not know the first thing about a 1911 or revolvers, so without more information I wouldn't being claiming he is an idiot, he could be, and if self taught, yeah, chances are until proven otherwise I will likely consider him a fudd with proper tools, but he could be skilled and just not versed on a particular firearm. Now again, if he claimed to know his way around the 1911, yeah, he is a joke and likely not to be trusted working on something, but again, until that is verified, I wouldn't say one way or the other. Flip side, just because a gunsmith can detail strip a 1911 blindfolded doesn't mean I am going to trust him working on an AR15 either, or M1A, or other rifle if they haven't worked on them before, or only in limited fashion, swings both ways there. Which, I kind of why I end up, if I need proper gunsmithing, I am likely going to be sending the gun off to someone who is highly experienced with the gun, or a certified armorer, or back to the factory, and not my local gun store. But, on the same note, not going to just assume something until I am proven otherwise.
    I understand what your saying. I have a revover guy and a general guy. PPC is my thing so finding a goid revover guy is important to me. My general smith can take care of my semi auto edc's. Although the search is on for a good 1911 match gun smith.

In the end its all about confidence, and you tubing it on the front counter won't be promoting some new business.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

I was at a LGS picking up reloading supplies and stop to look at handguns. I noticed a Colt 1911 Combat Commander w/ mini-comp from the Custom Shop and the clerk that looked like Homer Simpson's fatter and dumber twin brother says "I wished I could have carried that Colt instead of the POS P9 when I Served!" as he pointed at the Colt.

Standing next to me was a mid thirties black man the had "COP" written all over him ( Seriously ......he had cop all over him. He was wear a wing/jogging suit that had "POLICE" down both legs, across the back, over his heart, and was wearing a Little Rock PD t-shirt and ball cap !) and he asked the clerk if he had belt keepers.

Clerk "Belt keepers? I never heard of belt keepers."

Cop looks at me and says "He never Served!"

Clerk "Yes I did."

Me "Maybe so but you never carried a handgun."

I looked at the cop and said "I'll show you where they are."

If the clerk didn't know what belt keepers were he never carried a handgun or any type of webgear. If he did Serve he was either admin or supply and was full of crap about carrying a P9.

The ones that really make me laugh is when Gun Store Kommandos :

Claim a 9mm is as good or better than a .40S&W or .45acp.

When they recommend a Glock to a first time gun buyer, especially a woman. Don't get me wrong because I'm a Glocker and my EDC is a Gock 23, I just don't think they are the ideal gun for a newbie gun owner.

Paul

Page 285 of 408 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast