Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 DRT 79 gr

Feedback Score

.223 DRT 79 gr

There has been much speculation about the new DRT projectiles. As noted in previous threads, DRT (http://www.drtammo.com) appears to be producing the same type of powdered metal projectiles previously made by Powell River Labs and used by some U.S. units in the late 1990's. The PRL 5.56 mm and 7.62x51 mm rounds offered superb accuracy and terminal performance, however PRL had some production and QC difficulties. Dr. Fackler presented a paper in the IWBA Journal discussing the 5.56 mm 76 gr PRL tungsten-tin core rifle projectiles: Fackler, ML: "Tungsten Frangible Bullet Wounds in Pig: Exam by Autopsy and X-Ray". Wound Ballistic Review (4)3:33-34 Spring 2000. We independently tested the 61 and 87 gr versions of the PRL bullet at the CHP Academy in late 1999 and had similar results. Ironically, the PRL/DRT bullets are true "Blended Metal" projectiles...

Like the 61 gr, the current 79 gr DRT ammo is a bit deficient in penetration; it would be great if they started building the 87 gr version again...

.223 DRT 79 gr in bare gel at 10 feet from 16" barrel:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    so does this mean its gonna be half expanded before it even punches through the sternum?

Feedback Score
    Doc,
    -did you test accuracy? I know you had mentioned these had great potential for accuracy
    - what would be a correct usage for these rounds? are they usable for combat or patrol?
    -what was the velocity?
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    We need to get these guys to make a 115 gr 6.8 bullet, that would be VERY nice.

Feedback Score
    Jack-O: The 87 gr version is the one noted for its accuracy--it was a superb long range sniping round for unobstructed targets. Currently, the this 79 gr load is more of a varmint round and probably lacks adequate penetration for most LE use. I don't have the velocity figures with me, but will check the chrono tape when I get some time and post that information.

A 6.8 version would have great potential.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-26-09 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Ironically, the PRL/DRT bullets are true "Blended Metal" projectiles...
    <snicker> Good stuff, as usual, Doc. Are they contemplating making the 87gr again?
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 02-26-09 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    In this gel test only three small fragments penetrate more than 8", what is the penetration range of the 87 gr load?

How does this load (87 gr) perform with intermediate barriers? Is it intended only as a "limited penetration" round for specialized use?

Finally, I read a couple of years ago about Seller & Bellot buying the rights to manufacture these bullets, but I don't know if they ever actually made them.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 02-27-09 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    As noted above:

"The 87 gr version is the one noted for its accuracy--it was a superb long range sniping round for unobstructed targets."
    So it does not do well against intermediate barriers, but does provide superb long range accuracy. Penetration in bare gel was in the 11 to 12 inch range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As noted above:

So it does not do well against intermediate barriers, but does provide superb long range accuracy. Penetration in bare gel was in the 11 to 12 inch range.
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!

I'm off to update the Exotic ammo FAQ - I've seen more people asking about this stuff, and it's good to finally have some data...

[ETA] Do you have any data on their handgun bullets?
    Last edited by Zhukov; 02-27-09 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    I should ask...

are these rounds about the same length as a 75-77gr projectile? since they would seem to be heavier and possibly shorter, I'm wondering what twists these would work in. Can they still operate in a 1-9 or will a 1-8 or 1-7 be required?
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast