Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pow'R Ball Ammunition

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMHO, the only time I carry Pow'R Ball is when I have to travel into *spit* NJ. Every official documentation I have come across, makes it seem like it is illegal for anyone who is not LEO AND ON OFFICIAL DUTY to carry HP.

As it is against my Agency's Policy to carry non-HP ammo; this ammo is the closest I can find (outside the Federal EFMJ which I would never trust my life to) that seem to fit the bill.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    IMHO, the only time I carry Pow'R Ball is when I have to travel into *spit* NJ. Every official documentation I have come across, makes it seem like it is illegal for anyone who is not LEO AND ON OFFICIAL DUTY to carry HP.
    Obviously. Everyone knows that the only time you need to carry uber-deadly dum-dum bullets are when you're an on-duty police officer. The rest of us have no need for this kind of lethal ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
    Perhaps I should have expanded on my comment: When you live in a dense urban area and/or have small kids, I don't mind paying a little more. The point is you want to take a person out, not penetrate through sheet rock/wood walls. If a round were not to hit it's mark under stress, I'd rather not take the chance that my kids in the next room catch a stray (if a little forethought and a couple bucks could have prevented it). While firing directly at a person I have no doubt that a bonded hollow point would provide a better wound potential (esp thru clothes/barriers)...the Glaser is still throwing a 145g projectile at 1350fps/587ftlbs energy - if you hit your mark, that should slow him down long enough to follow up with another 9 rounds on target.

I load the first two rounds of ONLY my nightstand gun with Glaser Blue's, the rest of the rounds are Fed. Bonded HST's.
    A long time ago when I was younger and knew less than I do now, I shot a wounded dog through the eye socket with a .357 Magnum Glaser Safety Slug at a distance of only a few yards. The dog did not die. The following .357 Magnum Winchester Silvertip put it down with one round. Since then, I have followed case after case of the Glaser's failures to stop.

Glaser's do not work. I will state without apology that someone would be a fool to depend upon these rounds or any like them to defend their life or the life of another.
    Last edited by RWK; 02-25-09 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    "Glaser's do not work. I will state without apology that someone would be a fool to depend upon these rounds or any like them to defend their life or the life of another."
    Well said, Sir!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpardun View Post
    Perhaps I should have expanded on my comment: When you live in a dense urban area and/or have small kids, I don't mind paying a little more. The point is you want to take a person out, not penetrate through sheet rock/wood walls. If a round were not to hit it's mark under stress, I'd rather not take the chance that my kids in the next room catch a stray (if a little forethought and a couple bucks could have prevented it). While firing directly at a person I have no doubt that a bonded hollow point would provide a better wound potential (esp thru clothes/barriers)...the Glaser is still throwing a 145g projectile at 1350fps/587ftlbs energy - if you hit your mark, that should slow him down long enough to follow up with another 9 rounds on target. I load the first two rounds of ONLY my nightstand gun with Glaser Blue's, the rest of the rounds are Fed. Bonded HST's.
    I've seen a bunch of rounds that have passed through various barriers in the home. Some passed through residents or unwelcome guests beforehand. I'm pretty underwhelmed by all the kerfuffle over theoretical penetration(s), especially when it originates from manufacturers.

Buy a premium JHP offering from a known-good manufacturer. Sleep well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder6 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong in stating this ammo was created to be used in Protective Detail operations when it was preferreble to have ammo that didnt travel from one person to another. I thought that was a feature so to speak.
    Well, I don't think it is preferable at all, especially in regards to high risk PSD or close protection ops. I want ammo with penetration, and lots of it. Why? For shooting at bad guys in vehicles.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder6 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong in stating this ammo was created to be used in Protective Detail operations when it was preferreble to have ammo that didnt travel from one person to another. I thought that was a feature so to speak.
    I somehow missed this earlier. Glaser's hit the market way back when "hydrostatic shock", "temporary cavities" and "kinetic energy transfer" were all the rage, circa mid 80's. The Glaser's had spectacular results against water-filled milk jugs and looked great on paper. The idea was that the fast-moving Glaser would hit its target and the payload of birdshot would "explode" inside the target and deliver all of its kinetic energy into the target for the Golden Fleece of ballistics -- the "one shot stop". The reality is that things obviously don't work that way.

It seems that most times a gimmick handgun cartridge comes around, the myth and lore gets attached to it that it was developed for "protection operations". Curious.

I've been in this field a long time and we always wanted handgun cartridges that would reliably penetrate auto glass, since we're always in and around vehicles, i.e. more penetration, not less. I remember bitching at Peter Pi at Corbon when they stopped using the Gold Dot projectiles and went with some highly-fragmenting projectile. He too was of the party line about high velocity, fragmenting projectiles being all the rage at the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12