Thread: New to NFA items. Please help with some questions

Feedback Score

New to NFA items. Please help with some questions

Hello

I’m planning to get my first suppressor, and I was hoping I could get some help/advice, with some questions:

1- I’m in AZ, do I just go to a silencer shop and they help perform all the steps including finger printing, etc.?

2- Does having a CCW permit help with processing times?

3- I have multiple caliber handguns, would one suppressor ‘fit all’ type of thing? For example, if I buy the rugged Obsidian 45, will it work on my 9mm and 10mm handguns? I watched YouTube videos but I can’t figure out whether the above suppressor does or doesn’t come with ‘adapters’ for other calibers.

4- Will I need to do the same process for separate suppressors or it’s a do it once type of deal?

Sorry, I’m just absolutely new to suppressors and have no clue what I’m walking into uno online. Thanks!
    Last edited by lisadyer; 03-11-24 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lisadyer View Post
    Hello

I’m planning to get my first suppressor, and I was hoping I could get some help/advice, with some questions:

1- I’m in AZ, do I just go to a silencer shop and they help perform all the steps including finger printing, etc.?

2- Does having a CCW permit help with processing times?

3- I have multiple caliber handguns, would one suppressor ‘fit all’ type of thing? For example, if I buy the rugged Obsidian 45, will it work on my 9mm and 10mm handguns? I watched YouTube videos but I can’t figure out whether the above suppressor does or doesn’t come with ‘adapters’ for other calibers.

4- Will I need to do the same process for separate suppressors or it’s a do it once type of deal?

Sorry, I’m just absolutely new to suppressors and have no clue what I’m walking into. Thanks!
    Welcome to the suppressor world.
    1) Yes the store would help you get things done to a point. For stores with the Silencer Shop Kiosk, a lot can be done in store. Then future Silencer shop related purchases will go quicker as they have your data on file. Plus you can get printed copies of your finger print cards for use elsewhere.
    2) its a seperate background check so the CCW permit won’t matter.
    3)If you look at the obsidian specs, it should list calibers it is rated for.
    4) yes, you have to repeat the process for each NFA purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In regard to (3), I guess that I can't say that none come with multiple adapters, but I have not seen a suppressor that comes with more than one. Adapters are not inexpensive, so make sure that you enter those into your calculations. I bought three additional adapters for my first suppressor. Then I figured out that while logical, using such a thought process would discourage me from buying more suppressors. That's not good. Plus, changing adapters at the range takes away shooting time. Suppressors get hot, so you have to wait longer than you'd think. I personally recommend buying a separate suppressor for each cartridge/thread pitch application. If you buy a 45cal suppressor and want to use it for 9mm and 10mm, you could end up with five different adapters: 1/2x28, 1/2x36, tri-lug, M13.5x1LH and .578×28. The first four are for 9mm and the last is for 45ACP and 10mm (I think, check your barrel threading).