Thread: Alternate dies on a LEE turret press

Feedback Score

Alternate dies on a LEE turret press

Is it recommended or not to use another brand die on a Lee turret press? How good are the LEE dies, I get mixed feedback.

I will be reloading 223 and I think I should buy at the very least the Hornady lock rings for the dies unless you all can tell me if thats a no no or not. As far as the dies go themselves will LEE dies last long(especially the re-sizing die). Guess Im looking for recommendations and knowledge. Thanks

PS: Is Frankford Arsenal tumblers any good?
    Last edited by HTTTRH; 03-01-09 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have used Lee, Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady dies.

I think Lee dies are OK. I have some that I used for a while to reload pistol ammo and they worked just fine. Later on I switched to Dillon pistol dies because they have some features that I like and work well on a progressive.

For rifle I like the Hornady dies. I have made some really accurate ammo with their dies.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Forgot to add:

You can use any 7/8"- 14 dies in a Lee which is pretty much the industry standard.

I have a Midway tumbler that is about 10 years old and has given me great service. I think they are now marketed under the Frankford Arsenal brand.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    You can use other manufacturer's dies in the press. The Lee Classic Turret is a very good press for the money.

I used Lee dies and sold and replaced them with Hornady and RCBS dies. Lots of people really like Lee dies and they did the job but I found Hornady and RCBS dies were a lot smoother and produce a more consistent OAL.
    Last edited by shadowalker; 03-01-09 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    Could you please recommend the die set from hornady I would need, just to make sure I order the right set. I need full length dies. Maybe post a link or something ....thanks

Is this what Im looking for:

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...b292ef34652d80
    Last edited by HTTTRH; 03-01-09 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    Those would work just fine. Just order from any mailorder house, they're discounted significantly from what Hornady charges direct.

If you go with the Lee disk powder measure, you have to use their Rifle Charging Die. Nobody else manufactures a suitable substitute as far as I know. And I don't think any other powder measure can be used on a Turret Press, at least not automatically actuated.

Feedback Score
    546228 is what you need but you can save some money if you buy it from another company like Cabelas, Midway, etc. Most companies charge MSRP so they don't compete with their dealers.

Midway has them it in stock for $29.99
    Last edited by shadowalker; 03-01-09 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    Lee dies are fine,but I preferr RCBS dies. The only thing that is a nessacity is the Lee Factory Crimp Die....