Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Components of a decent trauma kit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Anyone care to list what would be prudent to carry in a small to medium sized personal trauma kit?

Looking to get this squared away.
    what type of medical training do you have?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First aid, CPR, real basic stuff . Ive stitched myself up more than a few times.

I'm not an EMT by any means. I just want to get some thing that I can patch myself up with until I can get to the hospital.

-Mike
    Last edited by Mikey; 03-05-09 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post

I recently got one of their dog med kits. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shoot my neighbor's dog this weekend and report back...

BWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Well played!

Feedback Score
    Packs of Choice: Conterra Patrol III and Conterra Longbow.

Equipment List for both (Different Amounts of Equipment)

Infection Control Kit, ERT-1, Sterile 2X2, 4X4, 5X9, Trauma Dressing, 3" Kling/Kerlix, 4"Kling/Kerlix, 4" ETD, 6" ETD, Ashmer Chest Seal, Minor Wound Kit, Hand Sanitizer, SAM Splints, 2" Ace, 4" Ace, Triangular Bandage, Instant Ice Packs, Adjustable Cervical Collar, Emergency Blanket, Blood Pressure Kit, 1" Transpore Tape, 2" Dermicel Tape, Athletic Tape, Duck Tape, Bandage Scissors, Locking Forceps, Flashlight, 10' Webbing, and Carabiner's.

Larger Pack has KTD and Flex Litter.

Feedback Score
    I talked to our SWAT medic the other day he advised each memeber of the team carries the following on them in an individual blowout kit: 1- large kerlex wrap, 1- large ace wrap, 1- tactical torniquet, 1- nasopharyngeal airway, 1-occlusive dressing, 1-16g needle for chest decompression, 1-pair of trauma scissors.

This is just a basic setup to get the guy stable enough to get to the ambulance after the scene is secured.

Total cost runs about $80.00 on North American Rescue's site not including any type of pouch and most of it is NTOA recommended.

Feedback Score
    There is a good deal on a fairly complete combat casualty kit over at uscav.com. If you get the black pack its "only" $84 which is about $61 less then anywhere else I could find it. Add some quikclot and you are pretty well prepared.

Link-http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=17093&TabID=1&CatID=60

Feedback Score
    Be careful of the iodine, they have a tendency to leak or break and can get iodine all over your IFAK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Individual Trauma Kit

Do any of you more "knowledgeable guys" think that this kit would be any good? I'm thinking of getting one and a Medic Pouch of some sort. I plan on adding some medical tape, tourniquet and EMT Shears.

http://www.practicaltactical.net/pro...uma-Kit/Detail

Feedback Score
    JSaleen, I think that the components in that kit probably are not the best combo and most are sized too small. I would get a 6" Izzy with the slider, I have not seen many extremity wounds that were not through-and-through, and the slider gives you a second dressing you could even use with kerlix. Even many extremity stab wounds go all the way through. Anything the 4" can do the 6" can do and its more versatile with irregularly shaped wounds, large wounds etc. I would throw in a 4" roll of kerlix for packing wounds, a 4" ACE Bandage which can be used with the Kerlix as a pressure dressing, ankle support, all sorts of things. I do not recommend hemostatic agents for civilian non tactical care, even in a tactical environment they are very very seldom necessary. Couple that with how controversial they are in medical circles and you are setting yourself up for trouble. Buy yourself a box of nitrile gloves in Large as the most people can wear them. Put 5-10 pair in a ziplock bag in each vehicle you own and in your kit. I would skip the chemlight unless you are pretty sure that you are going to carry it in a bag that wont flex the chemlight, they have a bad habit of activating if crammed in a bag and flexed to much, stick with a flashlight. Also add in a set of trauma sheers and put it all in an el cheapo pouch of some sort that you can throw in your gear, a lot of guys go to goodwill, pick up a nylon fanny pack, and cut off the belt.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=05132&type=store

BTW - Here is a list of the different models of the "Izzy":

FCP-01 4"
    FCP-02 6"
    FCP-03 4" White
    FCP-05 6" With Slider
    FCP-06 6" White
    FCP-07 4" With Slider
    FCP-08 6" Self-Adherent, Brown
    FCP-09 20" Abd Dressing
    FCP-10 20" Abd Dressing, White

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the advise Tacmed. Ill look into changing up my selections.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast