Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Components of a decent trauma kit?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great info. I think the USMC kit will fill my needs.
    Last edited by kihnspiracy; 03-04-09 at 00:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I agree on the scissors. Around here (MN) we have Fleet Farm (farm vet supply) stores that have all sorts of cool stuff. One of their best buys is trauma sheers for $.99. They call them "super scissors"or something like that but they are all stainless and work better then the ones that came with my kit. At that price I keep one in just about every bag I have (range bag, duty bag, computer bag, etc etc.)

I would also add a small plastic or wooden dowel and a sharpie marker. As a last resort you use the dowel as a windlass with your roll gauze. You roll on a couple of layers where you want to make your tourniquet or very direct pressure, add the the dowel, and roll some more. Than start to twist the towel to tighten it up. Again that is usually a very last resort and these days with quick clot products is needed less. This technique was taught to me in my EMT class as a rural SHTF type situation. The sharpie can be used to write treatments, meds given, or if a tourniquet is used write a "T" on the skin where you did. The sharpie can also be used for triage purposes. I also keep some para cord in every go kit as well, enough uses.

Before I buy anything fancy though, training is key. Just like many of us recommend to new AR users. So many opportunities through community ed are out there to get a first responder or EMT certification, I recommend it to everyone. Another applicable rule from firearms that also applies is the gear drives the mission. Like others have posted, you need to prepare for your situation. I live in rural MN so cell phones dont always work. I try to always then take my work radio or ham radio and GPS with me when traveling, training, or hunting somewhere without cell coverage. Keep in mind if you are traveling remote, or it becomes remote and you or someone is injured it takes it to a new level. Things to think about include water, shelter, food, etc until help can arrive.

All in all, when it comes to first aid trauma etc, the basic rule is air goes in and out and blood goes round and round. if you can keep the body doing that all is good!

Great thread, glad to see the new section.

ETA I also carry some tagaderm patches. They are the clear plastic patch that is normally used to secure IV's. They make great occlusive (sucking chest wound) dressings and are cheap and easy to find.
    Last edited by bluepythons; 03-04-09 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    EMT scissors are old school now. They wear out while cutting clothing off of people. More people are starting to use benchmade 7 hook seat belt cutters. This is what the emergency room at the Baghdad CSH has been using for a while now. It is compact and great for seat belts too. Keep the scissors as a backup...

http://www.outdoorknifeandtool.com/7....app2-delorean
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice!

-Mike

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    EMT scissors are old school now. They wear out while cutting clothing off of people. More people are starting to use benchmade 7 hook seat belt cutters. This is what the emergency room at the Baghdad CSH has been using for a while now. It is compact and great for seat belts too. Keep the scissors as a backup...
    Indeed, very good point, sir. Aren't most units issuing a pair of shears to each grunt, and the medics using the tools you mentioned? That way the shears are bascially considered a disposable item?

I have one of these rigged to the outside of my AMS Mountain Medic bag, and it works very well.

http://www.ztknives.us/ZT_Tools.html

It's made of 154CM steel, and keeps a good edge. It's sort of a specialized tool, however, and costs more than most people's blowout kit. The Benchmade tool is definitely more affordable.

And bluepython's idea of a Sharpie is a good one. They make smaller ones now that do not take up much space. Be aware that depending on your patient's skin tone, it may be possible to miss even a large "T" drawn on a forehead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A buddy of mine is at COP Shocker and he said they're issued the BM RH7.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am currently trying to get those bm rh7's issued right now. There are too many good uses for them not to get them. Blue python, That is great advice regarding training. More often than not, in the span of your lifetime you will be in a situation where it could save someone's life. Personally I would like to be prepared to do something when that happens. Back on topic, The USMC IFAK is a good piece of gear. I do add a Sharpie, safety razor, 550 cord, chem lights, and a bic lighter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if the BMs are issued, but they are for sale at the Victory PX.

www.tacmedsolutions.com has some good kit, and is run by a former 18D. They also have some online training videos. I recently got one of their dog med kits. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shoot my neighbor's dog this weekend and report back...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That place is awesome, I'm about halfway through the videos. They have answered about 10 questions I was about to post up.

Thanks for posting that link.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for that link. It looks like there is quite a bit of information there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast