Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Components of a decent trauma kit?

Feedback Score
    Anybody use the kit from Blueforce?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You talking about the pouch or the whole kit? I FF'ed the Trauma NOW pouch a couple of months ago at class. I really like the design, ease of use etc. I hadn't priced out filling it vs. purchasing it filled since I have the contents already. The AI in the class turned me onto using a waist pack like CSM gear or Emdom as a center mounted BOK on the front of my plate carrier. I am still toying with the idea. I have a small CSM waist pouch but need something bigger for what I need to put in it. As far as the waist pouch goes, I like the idea of having it centrally located for access with either hand vs. where my kit is now. Emdom BOMB on my non firing side in the rear on a TT tear off panel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    EMT scissors are old school now. They wear out while cutting clothing off of people. More people are starting to use benchmade 7 hook seat belt cutters. This is what the emergency room at the Baghdad CSH has been using for a while now. It is compact and great for seat belts too. Keep the scissors as a backup...

http://www.outdoorknifeandtool.com/7....app2-delorean
    Those things are great. I've carried one version or another of a Benchmade rescue hook since 2003. Shears are great to have around, but you can zip someone right out of their gear with one of these things.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    I would get a 6" Izzy with the slider, I have not seen many extremity wounds that were not through-and-through, and the slider gives you a second dressing you could even use with kerlix. Even many extremity stab wounds go all the way through. Anything the 4" can do the 6" can do and its more versatile with irregularly shaped wounds, large wounds etc.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=05132&type=store
    Thanks for posting this. We just received these from Chinook Medical and pulled one out to train with. A little more than a dollar in cost but far more versatile than the 6-inch with which we replaced the 4-inch.

Here is a pic. There is also a training video.

http://www.ps-med.com/bandage/description_fcp05.html
    Last edited by Submariner; 06-10-09 at 21:13. Reason: Add link.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    I am actually pondering this myself, I have worked out of ambulances and aid bags for 20 years, and mostly had everything I needed at hand. So now I am looking at repacking a good trauma bag for around the house and looking at specific components carefully.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just got this setup. Looking for an opinion on the internal layout. Would this setup make sense and be easy to locate the needed item if you were to open it up?

OSOE tear away IFAK.

Tourniquet in the outside pouch.

Front lid, H bandage in the loops, In the zipper pocket, Nasopharyngeal airway w/surgilube, 14g Catheter, safety pins, duct tape, gloves.

Back lid, H bandage in loops, Compressed gauze in loops, Celox impreg. gauze in loops. Quickclot sponge in the rear pocket.

Make sense?

-Mike

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I thought that the nutnfancy tutorial on youtube.com was a pretty good starting point on how to build your own trauma kits. He has some good explanations on level 1,2, or 3.

Feedback Score
    This is what I have in my truck in my go-bad/oh $hit bag.

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...e7581e5b56047b
    And two of these.
    http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=2476
    Plus scissors,extra gloves and wound cleaning solution. In another puch I have boo-boo stuff. Bandaids,stomach meds,pain releif,neosporan,iodine. Things like that.
    Also have one of each that I carry in my work van. Never know when some nut is going to go nuts.

Feedback Score

Quikclot Belongs in That Kit

Quote Originally Posted by kihnspiracy View Post
    Great info. I think the USMC kit will fill my needs.
    Since you mentioned GSW treatment, I would think that a couple of packs of Quikclot should be in your kit. I have it in my medicine cabinet at home and in my go bag that I keep in my truck. I've used it several times when someone I was with got cut and was able to get the bleeding controlled very quickly. From there, it is a minor problem to bandage and get the person to a medical facility. Please note that this is the newer Quikclot GAUZE and not the obsolete powder form that caused some burns. There is no exothermic reaction with the gauze and it works very well. It is light, easily compactable in your kit and is simple to use.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=rob_s;322249]I am NOT a medical professional of any kind....

Looking at the military kits is a good start.

the below in chart form

Below information taken from here

The US Army also has a similar Individual First Aid Kit to the USMC but is extremely hard to find. The core trauma components besides the PriMed Gauze, are 2 - Emergency "Israel" Bandages and Combat Application Tourniquet instead of the Cinch-Tight and Tourni-Kwik TK-4. The Trauma Module also includes a NPA, Adhesive Tape and Shears. Both kits are ideal for long term storage for emergency preparedness or for extra supplies as the components are vacuumed sealed.
    sniperbusch

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast