Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any EMT/I/P's in here?

Feedback Score

NREMT

Off thread and not very kind, but coming from Ohio, where National Registry is based and where you must pass NREMT-P to be state certified, I believe the National Registry is a scam.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a "licensed paramedic" here in the Great State of Texas and was grandfathered when they switched over to National Registry. I don't ever plan on switching over as I don't see the need unless I move out of state.
    We had EMT-P and Licensed Paramedic certification in the past. Same difference. The later means you had enough college hours/degree.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    NREMT-P, PA EMT-P. Wilderness EMT and yes the National Registry is a scam.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Decon View Post
    Off thread and not very kind, but coming from Ohio, where National Registry is based and where you must pass NREMT-P to be state certified, I believe the National Registry is a scam.
    Same thing in Georgia. You dont have to keep the national and can still keep your state but you have to take the national first to even get the state.
    Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    NREMT-P, PA EMT-P. Wilderness EMT and yes the National Registry is a scam.
    What are your chief complaints about the National Registry, and why do you consider it a"scam?"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    What are your chief complaints about the National Registry, and why do you consider it a"scam?"
    Over-rated in terms of its standards and creates an impression in the community that you're not a "real" paramedic if you're not NREMT when some state programs exceed those standards.

It's simply a way of controlling the curriculum and generating revenue, but does nothing generally to add to EMS or justify its purpose.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-04-09 at 22:12.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Over-rated in terms of its standards and creates an impression in the community that you're not a "real" paramedic if you're not NREMT when some state programs exceed those standards. It's simply a way of controlling the curriculum and generating revenue, but does nothing generally to add to EMS or justify its purpose.
    NR is certainly imperfect. It's the only game in town, though. When states have been left on their own, they've traditionally been unable to accomplish the standardization that NR has produced.

The value of having a national cert is subjective though. For those not practicing in border areas, not on national orgs or teams, or those unlikely to move, a state cert will work fine for them.

Often overlooked are the benefits of NR certification in insurance premiums, grant eligibility, and like regulatory provisions. Or the liability for lack thereof.

Several states have substantially lower standards for initial or re-certification/credentialling than NR at several levels. In those states, you might be "real", but you're not what you might be across a border.

Like much else, NR is "a" answer.

And as always, regardless of standard or governing body, the pursuit of real excellence is the responsibility of the professional.

Feedback Score
    Two main reasons why I used the term scam, which probably wasn't the best word, but

If I drop my state card, not a paramedic. Drop my NREMT, still a paramedic.
    They started out with the goal of being a National Registry of EMTs. They are not.

My main problems:

I completely agree with your comment about the standards and helping with jurisdictions, especially DC. I would be fine with that. They develop the standards, the tests, and the practicals. Sounds good to me, but I should remain a NREMTP until I'm legally no longer a paramedic. I shouldn't have to keep sending them money to recert. Their recert process is no more strigent than my state's recert.

I really wish NR was what was intended, but in the states I have applied for reciprocity, none gave me any credit for being a NREMTP. They should be looking out for the individual. I believe they have given up on this point.

Some Ohio employers require that you are NREMTP. Why? In Ohio, I had to pass the NREMT testing to get my State of Ohio Paramedic certification.

I appreciate your comments, and, of course, these are my opinions.

Feedback Score

medic

FF/Paramedic here since 2006. Reserve police officer also.
    To close for missles, were switching to guns!

Feedback Score
    Hi there. Critical Care Paramedic. Canadian, if you're not familiar with the terminology.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast