Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: crossfit

Feedback Score
    To me crossfit sucks. Its for bored yuppies or guys that hate cardio or dont have goals for their endurance. Thats great because exercise is boring.

If I want to get big and strong I lift to get big and strong. If I want to have better endurance I run and do more wrestling and sparring. I really dont care how many bad for reps of X exercise I can do. Lots of reps means no muscle growth too.

I just dont see what it does other than help bored recreational lifters add more cardio to their lifts... I cant gain any strength from crossfit and neither can any other experienced lifter. If I want more endurance its specifically sparring and wrestling cardio related and I get the best results from doing that... not swapping over to a less efficient lifting routine.

I guess I just have never understood why people want to make lifting weights into some form of training other than what it is suited for... which is growing bigger, stronger muscles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    To me crossfit sucks. Its for bored yuppies or guys that hate cardio or dont have goals for their endurance. Thats great because exercise is boring.

If I want to get big and strong I lift to get big and strong. If I want to have better endurance I run and do more wrestling and sparring. I really dont care how many bad for reps of X exercise I can do. Lots of reps means no muscle growth too.

I just dont see what it does other than help bored recreational lifters add more cardio to their lifts... I cant gain any strength from crossfit and neither can any other experienced lifter. If I want more endurance its specifically sparring and wrestling cardio related and I get the best results from doing that... not swapping over to a less efficient lifting routine.

I guess I just have never understood why people want to make lifting weights into some form of training other than what it is suited for... which is growing bigger, stronger muscles.
    Spoken like someone who hasn't given it a chance.

ETA: and most people WILL get stronger, unless you were previously a power or oly lifter. The majority of people will build muscle and get stronger (while still being quick)

Consider this: not everyone's goals are the same as yours. Getting bigger for me doesn't help because I still have to be able to run. Building endurance doesn't do anything because I have to be able to lift a wounded buddy in full battle rattle. But what if I mix them? What if I build a moderate amount of strength and endurance at the same time? That way I can run decent distances at decent times as well as lift decent amount of weights.

Crossfit excels at this which is great for mil and LEOs.

Yuppies....haha, yeah right, tell that to all the SF, reg military and LEOs that do it.
    Last edited by Hobbes; 08-21-09 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wasn't even gonna comment to DezL bc I knew I had nothing good to say...

Hobbes said it right and saved me the time. DezL must not know what crossfit is or really ever tried it. I'd like to see his Fran time and his Murph time and see how he does on either workout.Both are at opposite ends of the spectrum and I bet he'd be smoked either way...

Oh and I'm sure some of the SOF dudes and LEO's would love to invite him to a workout to show him what crossfit really is...

-B
    Its not the arrow, its the Indian...

Feedback Score
    Yes, I tried it a few years back. I immedately lost strength on my lifts when I was in shape... shure it would work if I was out of shape... but not in shape. I have a pretty light frame. To gain more strength and muscle mass I have to lift heavy. If I deviate from that I lose strength and mass, simple as that.

I also dont see any link to LEOs for crossfit vs traditional training. LEOs dont do much activity and most are horribly out of shape so any kind of fitness is exceptional for LE work. You should have seen some of the slobs in my academy. I have not been in the military so I cant really comment on that aspect.
    Last edited by DevL; 08-21-09 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    Yes, I tried it a few years back. I immedately lost strength on my lifts when I was in shape... shure it would work if I was out of shape... but not in shape. I have a pretty light frame. To gain more strength and muscle mass I have to lift heavy. If I deviate from that I lose strength and mass, simple as that.

I also dont see any link to LEOs for crossfit vs traditional training. LEOs dont do much activity and most are horribly out of shape so any kind of fitness is exceptional for LE work. You should have seen some of the slobs in my academy. I have not been in the military so I cant really comment on that aspect.
    Well, maybe you didn't do it long enough for the strength workouts to come up, but heavy back squats, front squats, deadlifts, cleans and presses pop up regularly (of course you can supplement with more heavy lifts like I do).

As far as LEOs, I have heard of some into it, but I have more experience with the .mil. Lets see....camp Pendleton and 29 Palms have a Xfit gym, TBS (6 month officer school) adopted some XFit training, the new CFT uses elements of Crossfit (and was partially developed by Glassman, the XFit guy).
    So yeah, the mil seems to think XFit is pretty much better than anything out there for military purposes.

Now some questions, you say you did XFit. How long did you do it for? Did you follow the main page? Did you go at it as intense as possible? On heavy days, did you life as heavy as possible?

Now, it may not meet your goals. That's fine, it is NOT for everyone. If your only goal is to get bigger, then it's not for you. If your goal is to get better at everything then you may want to check it out. But to say "it sucks" and that it's for yuppies is petty and immature IMO.
    I am quite a bit stronger than lots of guys I know that exclusively lift weights, and I'm faster too because of Crossfit...I'm not stronger than plenty of people, but I'm pretty sure if they're a LOT stronger than me then I'm probably a LOT faster
    Last edited by Hobbes; 08-21-09 at 16:25.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456