Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk nutrition, since it's in the title and all

Feedback Score
    About 20yrs ago, wife and I went into pretty much all natural and organic foods, then 4yrs later began Macrobiotics, which is a Japanese culture based diet. Many healthfood store books on the subject and some have had cancer remissions and other medical benefits from altering their diet.

We ate strict macro for about a year. We have since returned to a more Western diet; make homemade pizza, BBQ once in a while etc. Still eat Organic short-grained Brown Rice regularly, have eaten no beef in past 7-8yrs , very small red meat portions when eat Buffalo or Lamb, grind our own organic wheat and bake most of our own bread, cake, cookies. We have not drank cows milk for 20yrs, use Rice Milk instead. Still enjoy Organic Miso Soup, mainly red or brown hearty flavored. Buy only organic frozen vegetables, etc.

Our entire family has been blessed with excellent ongoing health for the entire 20yrs. You are what you eat, literally. Wife is great about exercising in home with exercise tapes, we have a weight machine, and have immediate access to wilderness trails. Fun to take a rifle and hike for an hour or so. Fun to do a bit of XC skiing in the Winter.

I will also put in an endorsement for being self-aware and having knowledge of Homeopathic and Naturopathic medicines, remedies, tinctures, and herbs. Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible, Jethro Kloss' Back To Nature plus Rodale books on Organic Gardening can help you begin to actively maintain and improve your health and live your life with greater satisfaction. All are loosely but directly influencing your "nutrition".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
    alcohol consumption.
    My two beers at the end of the day and few glasses of wine with dinner were the 500 daily calories I have recently eliminated. Don't know whether it was the alcohol or taking an Omega 3 every morning, but the weight is coming off and the energy level is up.

Feedback Score

CF in 100 words or less

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostface03 View Post
    Well put! I have been cranking up the bran/ fiber also.
    That was a cut and paste from the Crossfit.com web site. It's the party line for nutrition and health in 100 words or less, but still great advice to anyone in this fast food hell waste land we live in.

Feedback Score
    The survivalist/preparedness mentality lends itself perfectly to a health lifestyle. Physical condition is one of the imost nfluential factors in surviving a meriad of events. In fact, it is our greatest assett and ithe nterface to which all of our tools and weapons achieve their goals.

Please don't underestimate the benefits of a heathly and well trained body. Let me assure you that the majority of people in the hospital for non-traumatic injury are almost alway unhealthy. They smoke, drink, eat terrible, are overweight, don't exercise or some combination thereof. This is not to say that healthy people don't get sick, but I assure you they are in the minority. Furthermore, they tend to recover more quickly and with less complications.

There has been a lot of talk regarding diet in this thread and while this is very important, it can never take the place of regular exercise. We wouldn't rely of a vehicle that hasn't been started in 10 years or a gun that hasn't been cleaned since its last firing 10 years ago, so why would we count on body that hasnt been exposed to physical demants for 10 years. Our bodies weren't designed so that they could be active, they were designed on the concept that we will be active. This is a monumental difference.

For example, our immune system keeps many of its soldiers in the lymphatic system. These vessels are not under pressure, and thus they only flow when the contraction of muscles "milks" the fluid around. Thus circulating the immune system via regular exercise increases the opportunity for it to encounter the bugs that make you ill so that they can be elliminated before they can establish infection.
    The above is simply one example of the benefit of daily activity. In addition, it is FREE. We can walk/jog do push ups, abs, deep knee bends, lunges or whatever.

In our preparation for troubling times please make sure that your greatest asset is not the weakest link in a host of well planned equipment and supplies. We shouldn't expect our troubling times to go on pause because we need to stop and catch our breath.

Feedback Score
    I went off a bit on exercise on that last post so since this thread is dedicated to nutrition, I would like to encourage the following. Eat things that would be on earth even if people weren't and eat it in as close to its naturally occuring form as possible. Its as simple as that. So keep things like corn, wheat, sugar, cheese, butter soda, etc to a minimum. If you do this, things tend to take care of themselves as you have removed a great deal of your carb and cholesterol intake.

Also, make sure to get your protein. It is great for hunger control and helps to boost the metabolic rate. If you get sick of the usual suspects for protien, try lentils or split peas. As a bonus, lentils, dry beans and spilt peas are great for storage and can be stored well beyond what the packaging states. I have a monster back of pinto beans that I have been working on for a couple years and they are just fine. One more bonus to plant sources of protein is that they are all cholesterol free.

One last thing - drink your water! And, if you are trying to lose weight, drink even more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123