Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Picking my off duty gun

Feedback Score
    You're the one who can carry what you want; what appeals to you?

Many like Glock 19/23/32 because, while same size envelope as a 229, they are significantly lighter and hold more rounds.

A G26 is about the size of a J-frame, carries twice as many rounds as a 642 and can take reloads with mags big as 33 rounds.

Cognoscenti will go with a high-end 1911 or an all steel DA target gun like John's P220. You have to be dedicated to carry a heavy handgun.

I've personally gone about off duty with everything from a NAA .22 Magnum to a Smith 629 Mountain Gun and most options in between. Everytime I go superlight, however, I run into a miscreant who has not appreciated my attention as a LEO.

So, day in and out, on duty and off, you'll usually find me with a G27/23 strongside OWB w/G22 mag in pouch and S&W 442 in a pocket holster with a SpeedStrip in my other pocket. That weighs as much or more as John's excellent blaster, but it's two guns with lots of BBs.

I can carry what I want and that is the easiest to pack day in and day out. If I feel like it's a "heavy day", I'll carry a G35 & mag along with a G27. Or my 5-in. Smith 27-2 and the 442. Or my MkIV Series '70 and the 442.

Lots of choices is a nice thing. The 442 is almost always there these days.

Now, what kind of long gun are you taking in the truck or car? A $120 pawnshop Remington 760 Gamemaster loaded with '06 AP can be a gruntling thing.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Off dutf gun

I, too, used to feel that a j frame was enough.

Once I started looking at a LOT of shootings on policeone.com and officer.com, I changed my mind.

Furthermore . . .

The off duty LEO present at the Trolley Square Mall active shooter incident quickly found that 6 rounds was NOT enough.

One of the things he said he would do differently in the future was to carry more ammo.

More ammo in the gun beats more ammo on the belt. Having to reload when someone is shooting at you is bad. Having to reload 1 handed because you got shot in the hand(s) is worse.

In the last six months we had a local LEO KIA. Knowing the details of the incident, I can say with certainty that the use of a low cap gun contributed the negative outcome.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry a Glock 17 at work, I also carry the same gun off-duty.

I often carry either a Glock 26 or 642 as a BUG for the G17.

Were I in your shoes I would get a 239 and a 642, train and qual with both.

Feedback Score
    The probability that a revolver will jam on you is practically nil. Carrying a J frame for backup is really the G2 thing to do. The recent Il. church shooter had his Glock .45 jam after only 4 shots and he was the only active shooter. I'm sure he had more rounds left in the mag, but, if the gun can't fire, what good is it? You carry what you think you'll need, your shooting ability and what gives you the most confidence.

Feedback Score

Stoppage

In all likelihood, the church shooter could have remedied the stoppage with a Inital Action Drill in less than 2 sec, had he known how.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234