Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking my off duty gun

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

DUDE COME ON ?????

Ur duty gun is a 229 in 40S&W what is the issue that is the perfect carry gun about the same size as a Glock19.

Feedback Score
    Duty 220R Off duty 220 (old duty gun). Also carry Ruger Sp101 for both. Stick with what is famalier for both.

Feedback Score
    If your looking at something smaller. Sig has the P238 in 380, but the only ones I have seen were single action. I carry a 226 DAK for in uniform use and a Kimber TLE II when out of uniform on administrative duties or off duty. I like the capacity of the 226 and the feel of the Kimber. I will be picking up something smaller, but I don't know if that will be the P238.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you are issued a 229R in 40 caliber, I assume you want something smaller.

Many are carrying a gun off duty close to the size of the 229.

I carry a Glock 19 or lately a M&P9c. For several years, my issued gun was a S&W 5906, then for about 9 yrs, a 5946. Went from bad to worse, in my opinion. Started with the Glock 19 about 9 years ago.

For about the last 3 years, my issued pistol is a M&P 9mm. The more I shoot the M&P, the more I like them. (This is from a HUGE Glock 19 fan). The difference between the Glock 9mm's and the M&P 9mm's is close enough that I don't have issues going from one to another. But I am going to shelve my GLock 19 in favor of the M&P9c for off duty.

The more you train and practice with one type of handgun, the more I feel you should stay with that type of handgun for all of your defensive needs.

The best answer for what type of off duty gun would be to carry your issued 229R, both on duty and off. Baring that, I'd go with a 239. If your issued gun is a DAK, than I'd go with a DAK off duty. If a DA/SA on duty, than the same off duty.

If you do carry something other than your duty gun while off duty, try to spend some time training with it, above and beyond your qualification course. The life you save may be your own...

Feedback Score
    I carry the S&W 442 both off-duty, and as my backup gun. I picked it because I know that it will go bang when I pull trigger whether I've got a good grip or not. It's very light, and I can carry it well.

Now if you are strictly going to use it for off-duty, then the automatic would probably be a better choice. I agree with trying to stay with the same design that you carry on-duty. I used to carry a Glock 23 on duty and an HK USP 40c off. I stopped carrying the HK because I couldn't get them to point the same out of the holster because of the angle of the Glock grip. It doesn't bother some people but it bothered me. It's just something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score

Off duty

Glock 19.

Feedback Score

off duty pistol

P228 or G19

IMO, I don't care for a low cap gun for an off duty piece. I want a small package with as many rounds as possible.

Feedback Score
    My off-duty is a Glock 23. I also want to eventually get the Glock 27.

My department issues the Glock 22 or 23 as the only sidearm allowed. Most officers on my department stick with the .40 as a back weapon because the department gives us free .40 practice and carry ammo for all our back ups.

I also carry a Ruger LCP as an off duty/BUG. But, I always try to have the 23 with me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    My off-duty is a Glock 23. I also want to eventually get the Glock 27.

My department issues the Glock 22 or 23 as the only sidearm allowed. Most officers on my department stick with the .40 as a back weapon because the department gives us free .40 practice and carry ammo for all our back ups.

I also carry a Ruger LCP as an off duty/BUG. But, I always try to have the 23 with me.
    Woodandsteel,

How do you like the LCP? Wasn't there a notice from Ruger, recently. What was that all about?

Feedback Score
    Decon,

I really like it. I had the early model, with the 370 serial number. I reluctantly sent my gun into Ruger for the recall. I had no problems with it, so I didn't really see the need to send it in. But, I sent it in and had it back in five days.

It fits nicely in my front pocket. the weight isn't noticeable. There was one problem that I did encounter. Being right handed, I started carrying the LCP in my left pocket as a BUG. I noticed that while sitting in the car, something would depress the magazine realease, popping the magazine out. I have since moved the LCP to my right pocket, without any problems.

As far as shooting it goes, we shoot a 50 round qualification course, and the recoil is very manageable. Plus, it is quite accurate. We shoot moving from the 7 yard line back to the 25. It is not a tight group at the end of those fifty rounds. But all fifty rounds tend to stay in the sillouette of the Q targets that we use.

I'll still carry the LCP with me most of the time (on and off duty) in my front right pocket. But, for on duty carry, I am thinking about getting a S&W 442 for the weak side front pocket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast