Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M4arc's M&P9 Range Report!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

M4arc's M&P9 Range Report!

I have a running thread on mp-pistol.com but I thought I'd post here too just in case anyone is interested.

Make: Smith & Wesson
    Model: M&P9
    Caliber: 9mm
    Serial #: MPH64##
    Rev: N
    Internal Lock: No
    Mag Safety: No
    Purchased: Bob's Gun Shop, Norfolk, VA
    Price: $526 including tax, NICS, and one year range membership

I took my M&P out for the first time on Friday (last Friday) and to put it simply, I'm impressed! It fits my hand better than my Glocks and ran without a hitch. I ran the small back-strap but I might play around with the medium as well to see which one I like better. The controls were all easy to use and felt very natural. The gun points naturally and it took me a few magazines to get used to the trigger but overall I don't think it's too bad. I liked the stock sights and recoil felt very soft.

Here was the breakdown on the ammo I ran through it:

Independence 115gr FMJ - 50 rounds
    Winchester WB 115gr FMJ - 50 rounds
    American 115gr FMJ - 50 rounds
    Remington 115gr JHP - 100 rounds
    Winchester SXT 147gr JHP - 40 rounds

A total of 290 rounds without an issue which is what I expected. I'm heading to the range next Friday so I'll report back but so far I have a very favorable opinion of this new handgun!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I was able to skip out of work a little early this afternoon and hit the range with my M&P9. I was very impressed last week when I took it out for the first time and today was much of the same. I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted at the range but I spent enough to run the following through it:

Independence 115gr FMJ - 100 rounds
    Winchester WB Value Pack (Wal-Mart) 115gr FMJ - 100 rounds
    American 115gr FMJ - 50 rounds

Round count for the day was 250 which brings the total round count up to 540.

Since I plan on shooting it at the next Blackwater IPSA match I wanted to spend a little time doing reloads. Right off the bat I was slower than I am with my Glocks for some reason but I did pick it up a little bit towards the end. Also mine appears to be one of those M&Ps that when you slam the magazine home the slide closes. This is fine with me because my Glocks do it as well so I'm used to it and I work it to my advantage. However, slapping the magazine home was killing my hand by the end of the session. I don't know why because it's never bothered me before, maybe I'm getting old?

One more point I want to make; coming from Glocks I've rarely used the slide release, generally using the overhand method instead. Today I practiced both with the M&P and the slide release works quite nicely and is easy to manipulate. I did use the overhand method as well, being sure to mix it up, and I really like the aggressive slide serrations.

I'm still extremely impressed with this handgun at this point and plan to shoot it a lot over the holidays. Stand by for updates to this thread

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Two quick items I noticed while cleaning my M&P9 this morning:

1) The front sight seems to have developed a dark spot, dead center, in the white. At first I though this was grim & gun powder but all of my attempts to clean it have failed. Upon close inspection it looks as though the paint is cracking. I'll keep my eye (no pun intended) on it.

2) The roll pins are not centered, both are shifted to the left. The rear is flush with the left side of the frame and the front is protruding out a millimeter or two. I'm not going to mess with them yet. I'll continue to monitor their position from now on.

Oh, I also installed the medium backstrap so I'll try it for the next range trip to see how I like compared to the small.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the M&P! I;m keeping a close watch on this pistol and I may own one in the near future.

A couple of things I'd like to see are some Warren Tactical sights for the M&P and some solid pins instead of those cheap roll pins that apparently can't stay put.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Warren sight should be out very soon. I keep the pins from moving by totally degreasing them with BreakFree Carbon Blast and then reinstalling them. All four of my M&Ps have been taken completely apart by me. I don't know if the pins would move if I hadn't taken them apart. I'm a hell of a tinker'r so I can't stand not to F*** with stuff.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the M&P! I;m keeping a close watch on this pistol and I may own one in the near future.

A couple of things I'd like to see are some Warren Tactical sights for the M&P and some solid pins instead of those cheap roll pins that apparently can't stay put.
    I'm not saying mine are moving around. I'll keep my eye on them and keep you all informed. Mr. Burwell informed me that mine appear to be normal.

My M&P is a Rev N

Feedback Score
    Thanks Marc... good report.

I look forward to updates.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Marc,

I wasn't meaning your pins were walking, sorry if it came out that way.

What I meant to say is that walking pins along with loose front sights seem to be some of the consistent issues I always see being mentioned about the M&P. In truth these issues should be easily fixed and oveall it looks like the M&P is an excellent handgun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo
    Marc,

I wasn't meaning your pins were walking, sorry if it came out that way.

What I meant to say is that walking pins along with loose front sights seem to be some of the consistent issues I always see being mentioned about the M&P. In truth these issues should be easily fixed and oveall it looks like the M&P is an excellent handgun.
    Understood and I didn't mean to imply that you were implying...ah nevermind

I meant to say that I wasn't sure if mine were walking out. I just made note of it so that I will remember to check in future range visits. I did hear about the earlier problems and justed wanted to say that I'll keep my eye on it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I finally got to shoot mine today and I am in love....

i have struggled and struggled to find a handgun outside of a 5" 1911 that I really truly enjoyed (partially because of diversity's sake, partially because my wife is small and struggles with the big guns, but mainly because a 43 oz 1911 (fully loaded) is just too damn heavy for me to carry)

but i think this is it...the gun feels great in my hand, points naturally, and I even like the trigger...

im debating whether or not I want to try out a 9mm compact

i am definitely buying the .45

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast