Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M4arc's M&P9 Range Report!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Update: 12/20/06

I hit the outdoor range today and put another 350 rounds through the M&P. Here's the break down:

150 rounds WWB 115gr FMJ
    100 rounds American 115gr FMJ
    100 rounds of Independence 115gr FMJ

Which brings the cumulative round count up to 890.

I did experience a FTE. Basically the spent case remained in the chamber, the slide cycled and tried to feed a new round. This happened with WWB and after about 250 rounds fired. I did not experience any more failures after that one.

I did a lot of holster work today along with a lot of multiple steel targets, moving, and reloading and I'm not very happy with how I handle this handgun under a little bit of stress. The long and faint reset tripped me up for the most part and the "double reset" got me quite a few times. I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. I really didn't want to do any trigger work on it until I put a couple thousand through it but I might have to rethink that policy.

Bottom line for today is I don't shoot this as well as I do my Glocks under any kind of stress. And the drills we were doing today were mild and casual so I'm concerned that when the stress really spikes I'll be fumbling around with it. I was hoping to run this gun at BW in January but know I think I'll run my G19 instead and wait to run the M&P in February.

I might just be that I have far more experience with Glocks or it might be that trigger coming around to bite me in the a$$. I'll keep you all posted.

NOTE: The pins haven't moved but the front sight is getting worse. I'll try the paint trick after I get it cleaned up. Thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    The long and faint reset tripped me up for the most part and the "double reset" got me quite a few times. I'm not sure what to do about it at this point.
    Dry practice. With an unloaded M&P, practice the trigger reset slowly and deliberately to build up your muscle memory. About 3000 reps should do it.

Chris

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG19
    Dry practice. With an unloaded M&P, practice the trigger reset slowly and deliberately to build up your muscle memory. About 3000 reps should do it.

Chris
    Hopefully. I still think a trigger job is in order.

A couple of other notes I forgot to add in yesterdays post: Mark5pt56 shot about half the rounds yesterday. In fact the FTE happened while he was shooting it. Most of you know his credentials so I'm convinced it wasn't shooter induced.

The other thing I noticed is how bad the mags get dinged up. I can't even imagine how many times my Glock mags hit the pavement, gravel and dirt but after years of being ejected, dropped and stepped on they aren't in as bad of shape as my new M&P mags are after just one day of drills. These M&P base plates are chipped and dinged up already. I'v read numerous reports of the base plates actually breaking so I'll continue to monitor them.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    M4arc,
    My mags are getting pretty beat up too. The bases are cheap from Brownells but I haven't had to replace any of mine yet.

A trigger job will eliminate the short stroking of the trigger you are experiencing. It shortens the reset a lot. Mine resets as short as my STI does. Which is about 1/2 the distance a Glock resets in. Send yours to Dan Burwell for some trigger work, his turn around is VERY fast. I've had a few light strikes with Win value pack too. I'm thinking of trying a Wolff XP striker spring for a Glock in it to see if it'll go away. Winchester primers are fairly hard. I haven't had any problems using American Eagle (Federal primers). I did break a striker (mines a very early gun), I replaced it with a newer redesigned one and a newer sear housing and haven't had any further trouble.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    You guys are killing me with all this M&P talk! If I do break down and get one (like Tuesday morning... ) what model number should I look for (no lock and no disco)? Does anyone know what the latest serial number prefixes are or latest revision and how do you tell you have the latest rev?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoni
    You guys are killing me with all this M&P talk! If I do break down and get one (like Tuesday morning... ) what model number should I look for (no lock and no disco)? Does anyone know what the latest serial number prefixes are or latest revision and how do you tell you have the latest rev?
    The only model numbers available at this time are:

9mm
    M&P9
    M&P9c (compact)

40 S&W
    M&P40
    M&P40c (compact)

My serial number prefix is MPH and my rev is N as far as I've seen those are the latest. Of course you'll have to ask for one without the lock and mag safety. My local shop is stocking them so I walked right in and bought one without any waiting or special orders.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Funny how all this love for the new S&W M&P series has exploded. I know Spotsy county PD just ditched the SIG's in favor of the new M&P.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It did feel good in my hand, the medium backstrap was on first, then M4arc switched it out for the small one. I seemed to like the small one better myself.

I did notice the faint and longer reset, although it didn't bother me nor did I have any short stroking. I was also shooting my revolver and was tuned into the DA trigger, never had an issue when shooting the Glock and it at the same time.

When the fte occured, I just cleared it out and kept shooting. The new round was right up the old ones tail, the fired case never even cleared the chamber and I have no idea where the fired case went. If so, we might have been able to tell if it was the case, extractor, chamber, etc.

M4arc, I think I had loaded that mag, I'm not sure, but I did have some NATO ball. If so and the extractor spring is weak, you might have extractor jump. We can try some 127 +P+'s to see for sure

Overall, I don't see any reason for me to buy one. I just don't see any advantages right now. Nice shooter though.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i was shopping around for an OD glock 34 in december, but decided to try out the M&P 9mm. i'm glad i did - i like it a lot - more than the two glocks i have.
    i followed the dan burwell trigger job instructions and took a soldering iron to the grip. i found the small backstrap insert was most comfortable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    WOW!!! That is a beautiful picture!

I'm going to talk to Dan Burwell about doing a trigger job on mine but I'll just send him my M&P and let him do it. Was it a huge improvement?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast