I am having an interesting problem that I am sure someone else has experienced here. I have 2 different AR 308 stripped lowers. One is a Fulton Armory, the other a CMMG MK-3 308 lower (their new one). Both are the DPMS compatible format.

The issue I am having is that the selector spring holes on both lowers and the various grips that I have don't align! The selector spring hole in the grip seems to be forward of the selector spring hole in both stripped lowers and causes a problem if you try to bolt the grip on (binds and damages the selector spring).

When I completed my first Fulton 308 lower build about 6 mos ago, I only had a Monsterman grip for the project and thought the MM grip was simply out of spec. To solve the problem, I Dremeled another selector spring hole in the MM grip and proceeded with the build thinking this was simply an out-of-spec hack necessary to make it work. This time around, I have 3 different Monsterman grips, 2 RRA AR-15 LPK grips, and 2 DPMS pistol grips that came from the LR-308 lower parts kit (figuring since it was LR308 specific, it would have to work)! All of the aforementioned grips exhibited the same problem, with the selector spring hole forward of the receiver hole (and misaligned).

Now I'm beginning to think that the DPMS 308 receiver specification by design doesn't mate with AR-15 grips as it should. This would seem to be a big oversight but given the variation in lowers (Fulton manfactured by DPMS) and CMMG (manufactured by itself) and the different AR style grips that I've tried, something is definitely awry in the spec.

Have any of you experienced the same? What solutions did you come up with?

My thought is that a specific AR-308 grip will need to be manufactured or these LR-308 compatible lowers will need a spec change....... Either that or I am missing something completely........