Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: 3/6-3/8 2009 Vickers Tactical Private Class

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AAR: 3/6-3/8 2009 Vickers Tactical Private Class

This weekend Vickers Tactical put on an invite only class for M4C and invited guests. It was a great opportunity to get to know some of the people behind the screen names, and to interact with some folks in the industry.

Invites were offered to several folks in the industry, but because of logistics problems and even family emergencies some who wanted to be there couldn't. Still, we had a good turnout.

Representatives from Magpul, Magpul Dynamics, Knights Armament, and Daniel Defense attended the course and brought lots of cool stuff to try out.

Daniel Defense's new M4 rifle was there and several of us had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the rifle. It's an extremely svelte and light carbine. The moment I picked it up I felt a sharp pain in my wallet. I wanted one before...now I need one.

Knight's Armament brought a whole host of neat toys in 5.56 (including a neat ambidextrous bolt release 5.56 model) and 7.62 for us to try out including the SR-25 battle rifle and the SR-M110 SASS. The SASS seemed to get the most attention, as everyone took turns putting a couple of mags through the rifle. I'll let KevinB give a final figure on just how many rounds were put downrange with it, but suffice it to say it was quite a few. KAC also brought some very neat gen 3+ NV for the SASS and even a thermal scope for the low light section of the course.

Magpul's own Dr. Drake showed up with the Massoud rifle and PMAGs for everyone. This was my first time actually shooting the Massoud rifle and I liked it quite a bit. I'm not an expert on 7.62 rifles and I didn't get a whole lot of trigger time on the weapon, but it seemed very controllable.

Of course, the REAL measure of a class like this is the swag...and there was some good stuff provided by a number of manufacturers....

Blue Force Gear sent along a number of items including one of their new padded belts, one of their new trauma kits, and some Vickers slings.

Daniel Defense ponied up some cool hats and a couple of Omega rails...one of which I managed to snag during the competition. (More on that later)

KAC provided a number of cool items including some rail systems, a VFG, and a number of hats, t-shirts, and other cool items. Unfortunately they wouldn't give away the NV or thermal gear for some strange reason....

Bravo Company USA provided a mid-length upper and bolt carrier group as a prize for the top shooter....which is a VERY nice prize, in my opinion. They also provided everyone with some nice hats.

As I mentioned earlier, Magpul made sure everybody got at least a couple of PMAGs.

Vickers Tactical provided some new t-shirts.

M4C even got into the act, providing a commemorative t-shirt for this class.

Apparently while LAV was in his lair pondering the possibilities for mischief this class presented him, he came up with the idea of a match to finish things up on TD3. The match would consist of several stages, each made up of a series of drills (and even a written test) thought up by LAV. The results for each stage would then be tabulated to produce overall standings and an overall winner.

Chris Costa of Magpul Dynamics walked away with top honors in the match after performing extremely well on the shooting stages. Chris shot very well throughout the class and managed to claim top spot in a lot of drills. Several of us gave it a good effort, but we usually weren't able to best him. Mark5pt56 was his most frequent nemesis, although a few others took a good run at him every now and then. I won't go into what Mr. Costa resorted to in an effort to psych me out on the point shooting drill.....

All in all, it was a fun three days. I enjoyed getting together with everybody and fellowshipping. It was nice to spend some quality time with industry folks talking guns and gear.

Of course, it's always good to spend time talking those things with people like LAV, DP, and Chris Costa.

Many thanks to M4C, Magpul, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company USA, Blue Force Gear, Knights Armament, DP, and of course LAV for making all this fun and wonder happen.

Others will be along with their own (hopefully better) reviews, pictures (some of them from a Playboy photographer, no less...), and I'm sure some good natured ribbing before long.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 03-08-09 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I won't miss another one, that's for sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SASS had 200rds all suppressed shot thru it, no cleaning.

Plus the SR25BR
    SMGLee picture.

We also brought out the SR15E3 Carbine which is our current civilian sale model - and two SR16E3 Carbines (a 11.5 and 14.5) I will wait for more posters - but I want to thank LAV, David Pennington, Va Dinger and C4IGrant for the class.

It was a pleasure to meet and shoot with you (all of the attendees), and it was nice to see companies getting together to participate in a civilian shooting event.

Chris Costa is a hell of a shooter!
    Last edited by KevinB; 03-09-09 at 05:54.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to thank LAV, DP and all the M4 Carbine staff for allowing Magpul, and Magpul Dynamics to attend. It was a great honor and opportunity to shoot with you guy's and work with open and like minded people.

stay safe,
    costa
    Christopher E. Costa
    Magpul Dynamics LLC.
    President
    904-704-1970
    www.magpuldynamics.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

KevinB and Buckfrom KAC shooting on the move.....nothing like a good suppressed weapon... or two.

Costa lighting up the night with is 10.5 KAC carbine with Eric Rice smiling for the camera in the back round. Usually the brake are shot with the M4QD suppressor during low light, but the blast makes for great photo op.
    Last edited by SMGLee; 03-08-09 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Great class (as usual). Good to shoot with everyone & Costa (aka Costco) was fantastic!

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quick before I go to bed;

I thought it was an absolutely outstanding class, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Great bunch of guys, great training, and an awesome selection of weapons & accessories from some of the leaders in the business. Let me just say thanks to Larry, Dave, Grant from G&R, Paul from Bravo Co., Kevin and Buck from KAC , Drake from Magpul, Chris from Magpul Dynamics, Mike and Eric from Daniel Defense, Blue Force Gear, and to my fellow M4c mods/staff/friends for making this such a great class.
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 03-08-09 at 22:52.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMGLee View Post
    Costa lighting up the night with is 10.5 KAC carbine with KevinB smiling for the camera in the back round. Usually the brake are shot with the M4QD suppressor during low light, but the blast makes for great photo op.
    That thing is positively brutal without the can on it.

...and that's Eric in the background...although he does look quite dashing by the light of a 5.56...
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 03-08-09 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last year's AAR here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ight=m4carbine

80 degrees and sunny. It's not often I can start working my farmer tan in March.

Many thanks to Vickers Tactical, Paul, Grant, the mods and staff of M4Carbine, Magpul, KAC, Daniel Defense and the rest of the generous sponsors for letting a regular guy show up and see the cool stuff.

Again, different pacing and content from your standard 3 day class. Like every Vickers Tactical class, it ends up coming down to discussing the fundamentals, then executing them under various circumstances. Once again, Larry found a way to take me out of my comfort zone ("But it's comfortable there!") and it was rewarding.

C Products is getting a call in the morning. The 5.45 mags need help like now. Only 12 coils in the spring and it's ~1.5" shorter than a GI, PMag or Lancer spring. Ridiculous. I suppose this is my punishment for moving away from the boring reliability of my 5.56 carbines.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Really dissipointed that I couldnt make this one guys... As most of you know I have taken on a few other taskings lately that have consumed me until this industry finds a happy place!

Thanks for the invite and most certainly next time guys! heard it was a great class!

Be safe and Charlie Mike...
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast