Thread: 1911 parts

Feedback Score

1911 parts

so I picked up the charles daly commander sized 1911 from a friend recently. it's pretty beat up but I was kinda wanting a project to practice on, and it was fairly cheap.

so I need recommendations for:
    1. commander barrel bushing
    2. internal extractor
    3. firing pin stop plate
    4. firing pin
    5. firing pin spring
    6. recoil spring

also it has a one-piece FLGR and it's kinda a pain to take down. should I ditch it for a short rod, or a 2 piece?
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a Charles Daly EMS a few years ago. The model with the novak style sights. Older models all had the GI sights. My 4 inch CD had a bull barrel and did not use a barrel bushing. I don't know how you would convert from the FLGR to the GI guide rod if you have a 4 inch bull barrel. Maybe someone that knows more about 1911's will chime in. Brownells is what I use for parts. They send out a nice 1911 catalogue a few times a year that makes it a whole lot easier than trying to navigate their website. The 4 inch CD uses the same recoil spring as the Kimber 4 inch compacts. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 03-10-09 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    mine has the GI type sights and does not have a bull barrel, it uses a bushing
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Get the short GI guiderod. I like Les Baer parts, wilson extractor.
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    I would strongly consider EGW (Evolution Gun Works) parts for internals. They're not cheap: $120 ish for the parts you mentioned. However, they are also intentionally made a little 'big', because they're designed to be gunsmith fitted. That may or may not be important to you.

Enjoy your pistol.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    EGW, Fusion, Ed Brown and Cylinder & Slide are all GTG parts wise.