Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Combat Casualty Care

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tactical Combat Casualty Care

Is this the correct location for the best information on this? The link takes you to a powerpoint presentation.

www.cs.amedd.army.mil/clsp/slides/RLS%20TCCC.ppt

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There is a lot of confusion about what TCCC is and is not. The thing about TCCC is that it doesn't really have much application to the average CCW/shooter. It's interesting if its for your own edification, but it won't really help you prepare unless you've got a system in place supporting you. I presume your local PD/ EMS is that system.

TCCC is less a series of techniques and more about a mindset of evacuating tactical trauma. The techniques involved aren't anything particularly radical or high-speed, it's just a reassessment of how the military processes casualties for evacuation/care.

Essentially it's a "philosophy" of care beginning with aggressive self/buddy aid (as opposed to the Corpsman/Medic who would now be considered a second tier) and then moving the casualty up the chain of evacuation to more definitive care (ending at Walter Reed etc.). The techniques remain essentially the same...ABCs etc.

My recommendation for the overwhelming majority of shooters would be to focus on BLS, First Responder/EMT or other training that involves specific skills. You should be thinking about evacuation, but TCCC is really only relevant to an institution like the military or EMS.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-12-09 at 15:42.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Definitely more interested from an educational standpoint than necessarily application. I agree that this may be one of those things with no mil:civ carryover.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Definitely more interested from an educational standpoint than necessarily application. I agree that this may be one of those things with no mil:civ carryover.
    Given that I'd say it's accurate information about TCCC in the mil from what I gleaned in 5 minutes scanning the thumbnails. I think I've actually seen that exact Powerpoint before today.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Like Gutshot John said, Tc3 is a mindset. If you are under fire, your first priority to the wounded is to return fire and suppress or eliminate the immediate threat. After all, a dead medic or combat lifesaver is of no use to a casualty.

Interesting PPP, but you can sum it all up with this:

#1 preventable killer is bleeding out (hemorrhaging)
    #2 preventable killer is sucking chest woulds (tension pneumothorax)

That agrees with that I had learned before deploying to Iraq.

Funny thing about that is that as an infantryman I had better training on how to treat casualties than I did on how to effectively employ my main weapon system, the m4....But that's a whole 'nother post altogether.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Maybe this should be required viewing for our nations teachers.
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decon View Post
    Whoa...that's crazy expensive. $5-600/day????

You could take a whole EMT-P class for the same money ($2K) or less and get more/better training. Volunteer as a paramedic and someone else might even pay your tuition while you get some good experience too while serving your community.

Even GORGRP's "Gunfight Medicine" class worked out to less than $300/day depending on participation.

Keep looking.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-15-09 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    I didn't know money was an issue, but it's one of the courses based on TCCC.

Feedback Score

TCCC

There are a number of organizations that provide tactical medical training, deploymentmedicine.com happens to be an outstanding one, along with tacticalelement.com; also many state SWAT organizations offer tactical medical training to its members. Google tactical medical training for your state and you will find quite a few!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast