Thread: anyone shoot DPMS 308

Feedback Score

Exclamation anyone shoot DPMS 308

Hi, I am thinking of getting a 308 DPMS upper. Anyone have any experience with DPMS. Should I go with the other AR 308's out there, ie Armalite, Rock River, etc. thanks

Feedback Score
    I have a LR-308T with JP trigger and it is very accurate and fun to shoot. Even with the 16" barrel it is fairly heavy but recoil and muzzle blast are not bad at all. Velocity is 2650 fps with 150 grain ammunition.

DPMS is known to cut some corners but the LR-308 fills the need I had very well and I'd buy it again. I'd also consider the FN FNAR for about the same money.

I've used 110, 150, and 168 grain ammunition through it, so far it has liked the 168MK the best but was acceptable with 110 vmax. Best 5 shot group at 100 yards so far is just over .4 with average being .650 or so.

The only problem I've had is the gas block loosened up but I noticed it before it caused any problems.

I've only hand loaded with RL15 for it but got good accuracy and no problems.

Also Magpul's .308 magazine will be compatible with it and is considerably cheaper than DPMS magazines.
    Last edited by shadowalker; 03-14-09 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    As Shadowalker stated DPMS looks to have a winner in the .308 offerings. I would recommed them over the current crop for the reasons stated above, the availability of lower priced P-mags is also a huge selling point in my book.

Feedback Score
    A DPMS LR 308??

No.

I shoot 2 of them.

Top one is custom built by the good people at GA Precision. Too many bells and whistles to list. (Obermeyer barrel, Geiselle trigger, Daniel defense lite rail system etc etc etc)

Bottom one is a AP4 with a ARMS 40 flip up rear sight, Eotech, RRA NM 2-stage trigger, etc etc etc.

The middle one, I dont know what Im gunna do with it. My LPK for it showed up yesterday. Prolly will hang on to it for a while before I decide how to build it up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Edited
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 03-17-09 at 21:12. Reason: n/a

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The best thing about the DPMS 308 rifles is that they're about to benefit from magpul magazines.

Mine shoots just about anything, but the DPMS brand mags were problematic, the followers would tilt easy, causing some major problems.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein