Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H20: Treatment

Feedback Score
    You could just boil any water source and rig a "still type" set up, to funnel and catch the steam as it condenses back into a liquid state. A pot cover with a removable screw handle (for the hole) or just placing the hose just inside, near the top and modding the lid with a pair of pliers should do. That, with a garden hose and a catch bucket and you have purified distilled water.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    I carry an MSR Miniworks filter and use PolarPure for killing anything left. Been using that combo with no issues for years and the polar pure has no taste like iodine tablets.

http://www.polarequipment.com/index.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If y'all are interested I think I still have a .pdf of the SODIS water treatment method. I'm happy to post it (if the attachment will fit), or post a link to a place it is hosted at.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Sorry I assumed MIOX was a process rather than a brand but it's not really a "filter" either. I use the "steri-pen" which is an alternative to the brand name MIOX but does the same thing. I assumed the MIOX used AA batteries as well.

cleaning the water is the only thing the MIOX and SteriPen have in common. they are two very differant devices.
    the MSR MIOX pen creates a Mixed Oxidant solution that acts in the same way iodine or chlorine does to kill organizms. the up side to the MIOX is when treating large qtys of water, like jerry-cans or drums. the down side is the same as with all chemicals, it takes time, up to 7 hours for really nasty bugs when the water is cold.
    the SteriPen on the other hand is a UV Light. UV has been used for a long time for steralization and cleaning purposes. the UV disrupts and breaks down the DNA of the critters in the water and renders them inert and unable to multiply, which is what makes us sick. the downside to the SteriPen is it is limited to one litre of water at a time at 90 seconds per litre. the bulbs are good for 8,000 doses and the AA batteries actually last quite a while (i use one.) so the SteriPen is better suited for solo or small group trips.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12