Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H20: Treatment

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

H20: Treatment

What are you using for clean hydrogen juice?

Considering the rule of threes, and air is in plentiful supply, obtaining potable water should be priority number one.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    What are you using for clean hydrogen juice?

Considering the rule of threes, and air is in plentiful supply, obtaining potable water should be priority number one.
    What's your potential source? Relatively fresh water that may not have visible contamination? or highly polluted/brine sources with gross contamination?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Anything from creeks, lakes, ponds, mud puddles, etc.

Since pristine mountain springs are hard to come by, I'm attempting to assemble a water treatment system consiting of an array of devices for making potentially unsafe water potable.

Anyone have any experience with filtration systems? Like carbines, not all filters are created equally.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    Anything from creeks, lakes, ponds, mud puddles, etc.

Since pristine mountain springs are hard to come by, I'm attempting to assemble a water treatment system consiting of an array of devices for making potentially unsafe water potable.

Anyone have any experience with filtration systems? Like carbines, not all filters are created equally.
    Assuming you're not living in the third world, any moving water (no gross contamination) could be adequately handled by a MIOX, which is what I use, and you can actually treat large quantities of water relatively easily and you don't need replacement filters. They're small, light and run on AA batteries and table salt and the water actually tastes pretty good (a little sweet). Then again I live near three good sized rivers and hundreds of streams, creeks and the occasional lake. I'd recommend filters mostly as a solution for salt-water if that's going to be your primary source.

Often, if you know what you're looking for, you can get clean water from either saturated clay (which is a natural filter) or from plant life.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what MIOX filter you are talking about? But the portable one that I have uses CR123 rather than AA batteries?

I plan on covering the MIOX system in the other thread about Water Preparation... the system is great for static treatment of large amounts of water, but (imho) is not without its shortcomings in the field/wilderness setting.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Sorry I assumed MIOX was a process rather than a brand but it's not really a "filter" either. I use the "steri-pen" which is an alternative to the brand name MIOX but does the same thing. I assumed the MIOX used AA batteries as well.

Any system will have some shortcomings so there will always be a trade-off.

Mixed oxidants are simply a better tasting alternative to iodine tablets which the military, campers, hunters and scouts have been using for years. I've never needed anything else, but again I live within a 100 miles of the largest source of fresh water on planet earth.

Filtration systems are great for use say if you don't have any considerations for space, but for light/on the go application that does large amounts of water I'd argue that it's still the way to go.

For personal application, the PUR personal water bottle is an excellent cost-effective filter.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-14-09 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Assuming a long term effect of SHTF, I think a filter is impractical for more than 1 person. This being said, I own a filter as well as standard old Iodine tablets. It may taste like sh*t, but at least you won't end up puking your guts out.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Looking at this'un:

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/miox.asp

I've wanted to stay away from anything "powered", since I choose to NOT rely on battery/power assisted items in a disaster/survival scenario.

Kino: which filter are you using? The option to use CR123's tips the scale in terms of compatibility with flashlights/weaponlights, etc, especially since long-term storange isn't as difficult.

What's the battery life like on yours?

Changing filters blows, and backwashing isn't exactly a walk in the park either, batteries are risky, so the bottom line is that field-treatment of H20 is a bitch, no matter how it's sliced, short of boiling, and there's always the availability of fire to factor in as well.

Feedback Score
    I am working on a Water Treatment thread in the Survival Forum, but I have had a lot of other things jamming me up this week...

Anyway... as I recall they claim 200 liters per set of batteries, but of course in real life, you can expect half that -- I'd say my experience is that it is good for 50 to 100 liters, depending on the water and conditions.

Keep in mind that the MIOX is just Chlorine generator, basically it makes a concentrated, liquid dose of Chlorine Dioxide, therefore it will not disinfect water any more than ClO2 tablets...
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 03-15-09 at 00:15.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Katadyn Pocket & an old PUR Voyageur (now called Katadyn Hiker), for portable filters, and a Katadyn Gravidyn for base camp/home usage. I also have a full set of spare candles for the Gravidyn. I think that gives me a total of 78,000gal of treated water from the Gravidyn alone...
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast