Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-way radios?

Feedback Score

Two-way radios?

Hi.

I'm looking for recommendations for two-way radios. I have some CBs but i'm looking for recommendations for FRS / GMSR portable radios or other alternatives.

If there was a weather event (or societal meltdown) and cell towers were out of commission, i'd like some portable radios to keep the short list of people in communication as we moved around - knowing the practical range limitations of these types of radios.

Any thought and/or recommendations?
    Be Kind - Stake Your Castle Nut

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, if you and your people are willing to do a bit of study work and get your Technicians liscenses from the FCC (very easy BTW), I recommend the Yaesu VX-170.

Cheap, rugged and high-powered and somebody else has already paid for the repeaters.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 03-14-09 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    Here is a second recommendation for amateur radio.

You will have better range, more accessories, more capability, and greater flexibility with an amateur radio than with FRS or GMRS. There is a world of difference between the level of quality and capability dividing amateur radio and FRS/GMRS, (think Olympic Arms versus Noveske with out the extreme price difference).

The technician test for an amateur radio license is really extremely simple. There are numerous online study guides. Check out http://www.qrz.com/ham/ for an example, (that's where my wife and I studied to pass our general).

Amateur radio figures big in our overall SHTF plans. We have the capability and more importantly the ABILITY to be able to communicate from across the neighborhood to around the world. Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can get the equipment, set it up in 10 minutes and be talking. Just like properly using a firearm takes time and practice, so does correctly operating a radio.

Our two meter, (144Mhz) radios allow us to monitor the local Skywarn net and keep track of the number one threat in our AO, (tornadoes).

In May of 2004 I responded to a small town in SW Missouri that had been hit by a large F3/small F4. For the first day or so amateur radio was the sole means of communication in or out of that town. Neither cell phones nor landlines worked as the central telephone office had been bullseyed and leveled to the foundation. With just a 2 meter HT, (handi talki) I was able to relay message traffic to another amateur radio operator 30 miles north of the destroyed area. She in turn was able to phone people and let them know the status of their families.

Our personal pick radio wise is the Yaesu FT-50R for a hand held radio and the Yaesu FT-7800R for the mobile rigs in our vehicles. World wide communication is handled by an older Kenwood TS-50 HF rig, (we've talked as far as New Zealand and the Ukraine with it).

Any questions, feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to help.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score

I aggree, Amateur is the way to go.

Having been a licensed Technician Class now for many years, I would have to say, by far, you are best with going Amateur. As you have multiple abilities from the get go, being able to use radio to radio, through hundreds of repeaters available almost anywhere. And the ability to carry one small dual band radio (2m / 70cm i.e. vhf/440) you have endless capabilities for using multiple channels.

There is virtually no where you can't go where there isnt at least one 2 meter or 440 machine operating.

GMRS and FRS radios are fine for line of site, but get up in the hills and you step in to a whole new environment. Better to have something that you can certainly depend on. And the Amateur test's are not that hard, a little studying on your part and you will have your technician class in no time.
    " Strict gun control is an absolute necessity. Without it you just can't hit what you're aiming at"

Sir, we are surrounded on all sides ! Good, now we can attack in all directions...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    maybe the shortwaves should be another thread so as not to hijack...

but what kinda of intial cost with test and the handhelds in the above link?
    what kinda time frame?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a set of the Motorola FMRS radios. They work great for what they are. I think we paid $40 for a set that is rechargeable and comes with the charger.

We give one to our boys when they go out playing with their friends and can reach them at any time. They also come in handy when you are out camping or are following in a "convoy".
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

what kinda time frame?
    Nobody is talking shortwaves. we are talking UHF and VHF handhelds

Technician Test cost?

Virtually nothing. Mabey a small testing fee. You could study and have it in a few weeks. The big limiting factor is finding a scheduled test location.

VX-170 cost? $125 or so.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 03-14-09 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfishman View Post

what kinda time frame?
    Currently the test itself is running $15. For study material, do a bit of googling and you can find a pdf of the current test, cost there is free.

Radios kind of range all over the cost spectrum, just depends on what you want to do. A new 2 meter/440 handi talkie will start around $165 or so. Used can be had for a lot less.

You might check out your local area and see if there is an amateur radio club local to you. A lot of times folks have gear laying around that they are not using and would be happy to help someone get setup cheap.

In fact I've offered a particular M4C member, Heya Serious Student a free radio and antenna if he would ever take the time to get his license. Hmm, where is that poke the bear smiley when I need it.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://search.cartserver.com/search/...o.x=12&go.y=12

$139.00 for the 170.

You can even get the older 150 model for $99!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All good suggestions regarding Technician's license. Another route... <Removed by Moderator>

Note: To transmit via Marine VHF from land, you must have a Marine Utility Station License from the FCC
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 03-15-09 at 01:04. Reason: Keeping it legal
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast