Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of Mags for STHF

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On an everyday basis I keep my mags loaded to 28 rounds....3 on hand and 1 in the rifle. I have 150 rounds on stripper clips (for quick reloading of mags) and another 1000 rounds total in 5 200-round battle packs. As far as pistol mags, my HD gun is a G17...17 rounds in the pistol, plus another 2 full mags available. Shotgun is loaded with 5 rounds of buckshot with a full box (25) in reserve.

If it ever got to a SHTF situation I'd be loading AR mags in preparation to have about 10 available. All told I own 25 AR mags and 8 G17 mags. Thats 750 rifle rounds and 136 pistol rounds which would be available within say 10 minutes.

Bring on the zombies.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Something to consider, in preparatory measures, is whether one is bugging out or bugging in, in a doom scenario.

Something else to keep in mind is that a loaded magazine weighs one pound, so bear that in mind as well.

Having 50 loaded magazines, ready to hit the road is stellar.

Not being able to walk 200 yards with your stash will greatly hinder you in a bug out SHTF scenario. If you're bugging in, 2,000 loaded mags would be nice. The sky is the limit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I plan on carrying 3 mags for the carbine and two for the pistol on a harnessed belt.

Extra ammo would be in an ammo can containing carbine ammo on stripper clips.. If I have to go on foot then the ammo can would be left behind.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    My ideal load for SHTF is 7 mags for my rifle and 4 mags for my pistol. But it's very true with having "too many" mags. You have to find a happy medium.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    my gut feeling is that should a SHTF event occur our ability to go mobile will be key. granted this does not work in a chem/bio attack but the aftermath of such an event may be where the real survival needs kick in.
    so while i have a load of ammo at home and keep adding to it whenever i can i also have my plan to load a backpack with key defensive gear as well as lightweight backpacking equipment to keep me moving on foot away from any issues.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Feedback Score
    15 for each of the AR's.
    Keep the ammo stashed for re-filling mags.

6 for each of the pistols. Same rule for ammo.

(This question has no real answer... because again, it is opinion based!)
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FWIW...

the military basic load for the M4 is 7 mags. That's 210 rounds which was always enough for me...but I would agree that "one more" is probably the best answer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior9504 View Post
    the military basic load for the M4 is 7 mags. That's 210 rounds which was always enough for me...but I would agree that "one more" is probably the best answer
    I would tell my guys in my team to load out their mags with 28rds. Our issued mags would sometimes have problems with feeding when 30rds were in them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    10 for each pistol I own. 25 for each rifle. Minimum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have 6 in my LBV ,4 in ammo pouch all Pmags and 3 USGI

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast