Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of Mags for STHF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    I would tell my guys in my team to load out their mags with 28rds. Our issued mags would sometimes have problems with feeding when 30rds were in them.
    Are you running a MP5 just loading 28 instead of 30 Kimbo?
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Nope no mp5, I hope you don't think I'm some mall ninja

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Well im nuts

I have well over 100 30rd mags for my M4 and at least 30 20 rd mags. 13 for my M1A and 10 for my 1911.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    hey yall, whats a good number of mags to have on oneself in the case of a shtf scenario? my current setup has four, im kinda thinkin about more like eight or twelve though.
    The important part of this question is the part about having "on one's self". It would depend on what you are doing. And it would depend on how much other crap you have to carry, and for how far. Would you have the ability to use a vehicle to restock from? What is the threat level? Are you alone, or with others who are armed?

The amount of magazines I'd want on hand just watching over the neighborhood would be different than the amount of magazines if bugging out on foot.

I have a chest rig that holds 8 AR mags and 2 pistol mags. The minimum I'd load this with would be 4 AR mags. I can't see me carrying more than 8+1, and yet still be able to carry food, water, ect.

Pistol mags, 2 on the belt. If donning the chest rig, then maybe an extra pistol mag in the chest rig.

If you are talking about how many to have on hand, then it's a totally different story. I always recommend that one double their "load out", to account for mags that become lost, worn, ect. This is a minimum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like to make sure that I at least have 1 in my gun.

Feedback Score
    I have:
    21 mags for my AR
    6 each for my 2 Glock 19s

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    The important part of this question is the part about having "on one's self". It would depend on what you are doing. And it would depend on how much other crap you have to carry, and for how far. Would you have the ability to use a vehicle to restock from? What is the threat level? Are you alone, or with others who are armed?

The amount of magazines I'd want on hand just watching over the neighborhood would be different than the amount of magazines if bugging out on foot.

I have a chest rig that holds 8 AR mags and 2 pistol mags. The minimum I'd load this with would be 4 AR mags. I can't see me carrying more than 8+1, and yet still be able to carry food, water, ect.

Pistol mags, 2 on the belt. If donning the chest rig, then maybe an extra pistol mag in the chest rig.

If you are talking about how many to have on hand, then it's a totally different story. I always recommend that one double their "load out", to account for mags that become lost, worn, ect. This is a minimum.
    im thinkin you really cant have too many in a bug out situation... i think in a watching a neighborhood situation, four would be plenty as more would be available. really its all about resupply, i think if i was going to be moving on foot a fair distance i would bring 12.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    im thinkin you really cant have too many in a bug out situation... i think in a watching a neighborhood situation, four would be plenty as more would be available. really its all about resupply, i think if i was going to be moving on foot a fair distance i would bring 12.
    I agree with you, to a point.

If forced to Bug Out on foot (my last resort, would prefer to ride vs. walk if it's an option) I would be carrying a pack loaded with non gun stuff, food, eater, first aid, cloths, ect. What I would want, and what I can effectively carry over an extended distance and time are two different things.

If bugging out in a vehicle, I would have the same chest rig and BOB, in case I had to abandon the vehicle and go on foot. But in the vehicle would be 50 cans containing loaded magazines. At my destination would be additional 50 cal cans loaded with ammunition, and some more mags.

I guess the point I am trying to make is if bugging out on foot, guns and ammunition would make up but a portion of the gear you would have to carry to sustain yourself.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    "I guess the point I am trying to make is if bugging out on foot, guns and ammunition would make up but a portion of the gear you would have to carry to sustain yourself."

Spoken very wisely.

I'm of the volition that magazines/armament are a lower-tier priority in a survival situation than a lot of people envision. Do they have their place? Absolutely. I think a lot of folks put a higher priority on weaponry and SD, than on down 'an dirty staying 6' above ground.

Is a weapon system part of my SHTF plan? Of course; however, if it came down to it, and I was forced to choose one or the other, a multi-tool takes precedence over the weapon.

If you're on your own, and buggin' out, you'd be best served to avoid and evade confrontation if at all possible. Any entanglements and "combat" would be against multiple assailants anyway, in which case you're most likely outgunned and outflanked.

Common sense measures can very much decrease your odds of a random encounter, and reduce the chances of having to react to contact. The solution is to avoid contact as much as possible.

Being slippery > Being Rambo

The simplest way to avoid contact in a retreat/bugout scenario?

STAY THE **** OFF OF ALL ROADWAYS.

Every waterhead from here to Kalamazoo is going to be using the interstate and highway system, regardless of their mode of transportation. Going off-road slows your travel time, but also places you away from two-legged predators.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would think 10-20 would be enough for the average user. Unless you're part of a defensive group, you will be avoiding fights not engaging in running gun battles if you can help it.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast