Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Southeastern Dangerous Wildlife

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    What?!? No coral snake?
    Exactly what I was thinking

Many years ago when I was in middle school we had one in the lunch room

Feedback Score
    Eh, gators aren't that dangerous. I've lived around them my whole life and the 'meanest' gator I ever met was a fan after losing by a point to Ole Miss. I've swam with gators (not intentionally), boated near them, canoed and kayaked near them, fished around them, and have never had a problem. If you provoke them, say, with bloody bait or taunts about singing Rocky Top all night long... well, you've earned that.

On that list, the most likely danger is a moccasin. Those are genuinely mean animals. Not sure if anyone who's ever met one has had a good thing to say about 'em, and justifiably so. They're the only animals aside from dogs that have ever chased me; at least dogs can be calmed a bit.

Rattlers aren't usually bad, since they're nice enough to warn you first. Except when you have a pygmy rattler fall from the door frame onto your shoulder. Then your day becomes very bad, very quick. My friend still laments his lack of having a camera for that one. I've never seen a coral snake actually attack someone before, and the two I've handled before have both been pretty docile and more interested in leaving than biting (a lot like red rat snakes, actually).

Hogs I've only ever seen once in the wild, and I'm guessing the one I saw had bad people experiences 'cause it took off like a bat outa hell when it saw me.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 11-23-09 at 15:43.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Fantastic post!

As an avid mountainer in the fine Commonwealth of Virginia I have seen my fair share of snakes out on the trails. They all scare the hell out of me and in my mind they're all deadly! (I'm more likely to die from poopy pants and a heart attack)

Feedback Score
    I hope you don't mind my posting this in your thread, but, I thought it would be useful.
    Here in Florida, we have an ongoing problem with nonnative species that can be dangerous or just a bloody nuisance.
    Here are a few.

First, we have established and on-the-move populations of Burmese Pythons:
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/No...mesePython.htm

Second, we have Boa Constrictors that are established:
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/No..._CommonBoa.htm

There have been whisperings of Florida Anaconda's as well. But, thus far that is just a rumor. I'll wait till I actually see a body before proclaiming it from the rooftops. Or, until The FWC recognizes them.

There are a number of large lizards, including Iguanas and Nile Monitors now calling Fla. home:
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/No...tailIguana.htm
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/No...tailIguana.htm
    http://myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/No...ileMonitor.htm
    Now, while the lizards are not deadly dangerous in a venomous or 'big enough to eat you' sort of way, they do have the capability of providing one with a very painful bite prone to a nasty infection.
    They have the ability to use their tails as a whip or bludgeon, which can give a painful bruise/laceration.
    So, due caution should be observed when attempting to capture or corral one of these critters. Also, I hear they're not very good eatin' to boot.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    What?!? No coral snake?
    Hope no-one minds me adding a little to this thread. Not the greatest pics but they give one an idea of what a coral snake looks like. This particular one was hiding beneath the hay bales.

crispy

Edit to add.....red touch black/venom lack.........red touch yellow/kill a fellow.
    Last edited by crispy; 01-16-11 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Don View Post
    My sister was an ER nurse in Ft. Meyers, Fla. A gentleman was brought in who had been "playing with" a coral snake. This reptile has quite short fangs, usually not more than 3/8". However, the venom is very powerful. In fact, it cost over $300,000 to keep this guy alive! There is a mnemonic about "color next to color" is a friend to Jack; " 'color' " next to black" kills Jack. I don't remember it, and since I live in Iowa, have only to concern myself with Massaugua rattlers, Timber rattlers, Prairie rattlers, and Copperheads.

The Massaugua is not common, up to 30", and found in a very few marshy areas. The Timber's live mostly in the bluffs along the Mississippi and in an area SE of Des Moines. I've seen them over 5' and as big as my forearm around. They are the most common rattler in Iowa. Prairie's are found in the Northern Loess Hills along the Missouri, and are not very common. All rattlers are protected species in the state. There is a small isolated population of copperheads about 20 miles north of Ottumwa, in the SE part of the state and are seen infrequently at best.

I have encountered people from thevery farthest SE part of the state who heatedly insist there are Cottonmouths here, but specimens always turn out to be Common Brown Water Snakes. While they do have a nasty disposition and mimic the gape threat of a Cottonmouth, other than blood poisoning or other infection from the bite, are harmless.

Nor should we forget the American Crocodile, for whom we would all make a tasty meal. These are generally coastal creatures, but nonetheless quite dangerous for the same reasons as the American Alligator.

In closing, "Good on ya" for posting this thread.

Yet, when all is said and done, I find the "Streetus Animalous" to be the most feared, although easily rebuked with a lethal hot lead injection. It's cunning and savagery make it difficult to discern at times, though it is normally found close to it's lair. It may ask for a light, a dollar, or something else. Avoiding it's normal haunts is easy, and after living in Chicago for 7 years, some of it driving a taxi, I am well practiced in the art and science of recognizing these critters. You should be too.
    good looking out on the croc! For many years, there was a crocodile crossing sign in north key largo, I havent seen it lately. The few times I have seen back country fishing, its been something to watch out for.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    In all my years of living in Mississippi (including 4 years in GA & and 1 in FL) I have yet to see a coral snake in the wild and I've looked. I am sort of a closet herpatologist. I've picked up copperheads before. They aren't too aggressive. Cottonmouths and rattlers no way. Its also interesting to note, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the coral is the only native snake to the southeast that has a neurotoxic venom. Meaning it does damage to the nervous system such as making it extremely hard to breathe. Rattlers,cottonmouths,& copperheads all have hemotoxic venom which destroys tissue. Most neurotoxic snakes have fixed fangs and most hemotoxic snakes have hinged fangs. It is very common for the venomous species to have both types of venom. One is usually the dominant type over the other.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    In all my years of living in Mississippi (including 4 years in GA & and 1 in FL) I have yet to see a coral snake in the wild and I've looked. I am sort of a closet herpatologist.
    -Jax
    I'm afraid that I'm guilty of the same thing.

The coral snake in the picture is the second one that I've seen in the twenty six years that I've lived in Florida and both of them, were in my yard! I wish I would have taken pictures of the three diamondback rattlesnakes that I saw here this past fall.

All of the aformentioned snakes, were seen last year.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I would hate to not have a camera on me as well if there was a rattler or coral nearby. Rattlesnakes are not nearly as common as copperheads or moccasins in south central Mississippi. I see more king snakes & Texas rat snakes than anything else.
    That coral snake in your picture looks as if he was getting close to shedding judging by his dull color and glassy colored eye. Cool pic!

-Jax

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I'm afraid that I'm guilty of the same thing.

The coral snake in the picture is the second one that I've seen in the twenty six years that I've lived in Florida and both of them, were in my yard! I wish I would have taken pictures of the three diamondback rattlesnakes that I saw here this past fall.

All of the aformentioned snakes, were seen last year.
    Last edited by jaxman7; 01-26-11 at 13:14.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    That coral snake in your picture looks as if he was getting close to shedding judging by his dull color and glassy colored eye. Cool pic!

-Jax
    Thanks Jax. He was about to shed but luckily for me, he doesn't have to worry about it any more.

I've found a couple scarlet kingsnakes in Fl. When I found my first, I though I had found a coral snake. The kingsnakes are probably my favorites.

What's really fun is walking through the woods and startling an seven or eight foot long coachwhip snake only to have it race half way up your leg, then turn and take off in less time than it takes your mind to figure out what had just happened......lol! I'm just glad it was a friendly.

Take care, Bill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast