Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-made ballistic gelatin

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the work you did in compiling that data. Seems like the difference in commercial gelatin versus BG is too big to make it worth much of anything. Oh well...

Feedback Score
    An interesting web page: How to Make Your Own Ballistic Gel (I'm not endorsing this technique, I'm just throwing it out for consideration: http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Uh...no.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    An interesting web page: How to Make Your Own Ballistic Gel (I'm not endorsing this technique, I'm just throwing it out for consideration: http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html
    My remark would've been more appropriate if I'd said: "...I'm just throwing it out for fun...."

Doh!
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    BTW - what's the recommended block size for rifle shots?
    I seem to recall 8 X 8 X 16 inches as being the standard block size...

For rifles/shotgun slugs you may need 2 blocks end-to-end...

Feedback Score
    There is no standard block size necessarily--you are describing the FBI type handgun blocks that are 20 lbs. The minimum size we use is 40 lbs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    Guys - I'm well aware of how BG is prepared/used. My question was only about the difference between plain grocery store gelatin and 250A ballistic gelatin.
    If you contact Knox, they have a gelatin 'booklet' they can send you. I got one from them back when the IWBA was trying to figure out a gelatin issue involving pig ribs inserted into gelatin blocks where the gelatin was getting 'watery'... This booklet had all kinds of information, and they even attached a business card so I could call and ask them questions if necessary...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There is no standard block size necessarily--you are describing the FBI type handgun blocks that are 20 lbs. The minimum size we use is 40 lbs.
    How big are they dimensionally? Are they used for rifles/shotgun slugs?

Feedback Score
    I had three stainless steel gelatin molds fabricated by a local HVAC/sheetmetal shop to cast gelatin blocks in the following dimensions:
    1. 6x6x16 (9 liters water, 1 kg gelatin powder)
    2. 8x8x18 (18 liters water, 2 kg gelatin powder)
    3. 10x10x18 (27 liters water, 3 kg gelatin powder)

I had the molds constructed so the surface of the gelatin solution is 1.5 inches below the rim of the mold.

After some experience with the other two molds I modified my plans for the 8x8x18 gelatin mold to have the walls gradually taper, increasing in width from bottom to top to facilitate ease of gelatin block removal. The other two molds have a straight wall design which frustrates removal. The 8x8x18 became my favorite size for testing handgun ammunition. The large mold is for rifle cartridges and the small mold is for small caliber cartridges (.22 thru .380).
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    For the price of some of the pre-formed gelatin things, I can buy three goats. They are a much better gauge of terminal ballistic performance. I have yet to put one in a vehicle though, for the auto-galss test. See, that would get expensive as different angles, multiple vs. single hits, the smell of the vehicle after two or three goats, etc:.....
    I guess if you're gonna use ballistics gelatin at least stick some bones in it.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 07-17-09 at 20:58. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast