Quote Originally Posted by Glockster35
MadRyan,

I should have also included that when I made the purchase, the Series II Kimbers had only been on the market for about a year or so, and the gun communities (forums) were up in arms over the Schwartz Safety system being included to the Series II Kimbers. There was and probably still is a lot of talk about how the Schwartz Safety caused reliability issues.

Some believe it is not a necessary addition to the firearm. To purists any deviation from JMB's original design is un-warranted, like the external extractors we see currently on the market. I don't really have an opinion on this myself. I believe my .45 ACP SA has a .38 Super firing pin to accomplish the same basic thing.

I do know now that the Schwartz Safety can be bypassed (I have the instructions saved somewhere). At the time I wasn't aware it could be, nor did I have the skills to do it myself. No one I knew had a Kimber Series I or II, no one I know owns one now either.

I have never owned, shot or taken apart a Kimber Series II pistol. I have handled one in a gunshop, and it was nice, just not enough to make the purchase.

Would I buy a Kimber Series II today, yes, I probably would. Would I disable the Schwartz Safety, maybe, but only if I felt it was unreliable.

You can pop the rear sight off and it all sort of falls out. I then ground the plunger in the frame down so it doesn't clear the frame rails and now it may as well be a Series I. As an added bonus, there's now a nifty hole up into the firing pin channel through the bottom of the slide that you can shoot brake cleaner into to clean it out from time to time without even taking the slide off the frame.