Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 as a training rifle?

Feedback Score

10/22 as a training rifle?

I suck with irons on my AR rifles and I really want to get better. Since the problem seems to lie in my basic marksmanship skills, I figured it might be worthwhile to make a ruger 10/22 into an ARish training rifle. I was looking at getting a ruger 10/22 and sticking tech sights on and maybe a tapco t6 stock. Mostly I'm concerned with just getting used to using irons effectively and I was curious if this would be a good way to go. I figure that if I can get down using irons effectively with this gun, I won't have to expend as much 5.56 in my ARs. Does that stand to reason? I'm not really into conversions or uppers since it seems like they either cost a lot or have troubles working. Plus I wouldn't mind a training rifle that could do double duty as a truck gun that doesn't wreck my hearing when I shoot it(besides 5.56 is overkill for skunks and other varmits).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree that the 22 AR conversions are high maintenance nonsense. Getting the tech sights probably won't get you exactly the same practice as AR irons, but I'd vote for that over any of the conversions that are out there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think the current batch of .22 uppers (Tacsol and Spike's) have to be finicky at all. You may have to take a box of a few different types of ammo to the range the first time to find out which ammo the gun likes, but after that...

Marksmanship is marksmanship, but it sounds like you're going to wind up spending the same amount on the 10/22 and crapco junk for it that you'd spend on a .22 upper, and at least with the .22 upper you'll be working with the same trigger.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Having three complete .22 uppers I agree with Rob. If your goal is to improve your shooting of the AR platform specifically then go with a Spikes or Tactical Solution upper. I have both and prefer the TS. Mine get shot all winter for indoor training.

I would advise that you stay away from the conversions. I see a lot of guys having problems with them. As mentioned they can be a little tempremental to ammo. Use a copper jacketed bullet. Stay away from lead.

Same trigger, same sights, same controls. And just like the 5.56 you can be as creative as you wish with the options. This one is a Tactical Solutions 5" barrel with a YHM Can. Perfect compact truck gun and quiet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    I have both and prefer the TS.
    CG, mind expounding on that, or posting a link to somewhere else you may have discussed it?

Feedback Score
    If you're doing pure marksmanship training, ala Appleseed, then a 10/22 with Tech Sights would be good enough. If you're going to be reloading, clearing malfunctions, shooting long strings of rounds, etc. then a .22 upper will have a lot more value.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree that the 22 AR conversions are high maintenance nonsense.
    Yours, maybe, but not mine. My CMMG conversion kit with BDM mags has been 100% reliable with Federal #750 bulk pack with a round count of 2,300 so far.

I went with the conversion as opposed to an upper as I wanted to train with exactly the same gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Having three complete .22 uppers I agree with Rob. If your goal is to improve your shooting of the AR platform specifically then go with a Spikes or Tactical Solution upper. I have both and prefer the TS...[/IMG]
    Any idea with the TS uppers work on full-auto? I went with the Ceiner kit because it had an option to allow for use on guns with sears. I already have almost 6k rounds of the particular .22LR ammo that the kit likes (federal 550-round maroon-colored bulk packs from Wally World).
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    I already have almost 6k rounds of the particular .22LR ammo that the kit likes (federal 550-round maroon-colored bulk packs from Wally World).
    That would be the same Federal #750 my CMMG likes. I pay $13.47 per 550 at Walmart.

Feedback Score
    My Spike's kit also likes the Federal bulk packs and has been very reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast