Thread: Old-School G19

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Old-School G19

This is my father-in-law's G19, he bought it years ago when he was a jewelry salesman and traveled a lot with inventory. He's never fired it It was fired by the previous owner (another salesman) but I've got no clue how much. Topglock's date-tool lists it as around June 1991? Maybe some of the Glock experts can verify that as plausible.

I brought it home to give it a good cleaning and lube (and 'cause I wanted to shoot it of course). I've never really had a chance to play with a G19 beyond picking one up at the shop or gun show so I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with it.

It's totally dry. Fired enough for some wear but you can still see some of the copper lube. I can't tell if some of the grime is powder residue or dust -- I know it has been stored with the slide locked back for at least some of its life. The guide rod is broken, unless they used to use a non-captive recoil spring? I'm going to replace it for him. Are there any other parts I should look into upgrading while I'm at it?

Mags are non-drop free.

Subjectively I like the size and feel of it. The length doesn't feel much different than my 17 but the grip is definitely a lot shorter. It's kind of got me thinking about doing a shorted 17 to use 19 mags for carry. Or just getting a 19.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    I do believe Glock originally used a non-captive recoil spring/rod.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    '91 is probably about right. That thing looks to be in great shape. I suggest you clean it up and buy a new guide rod from Lone Wolf and you'll be good to go. Pick up a few extra mags while you're at it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's a nice piece. My wife gave me one for Christmas in 1993, still have it! I would like to get another one day when I get around to it. Mine came with the captive recoil assembly.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Great G-19!...I also have an Oldie G-19. You can see they were made better than the newer models. I currently have a G-23 just like it and 4 other Glocks, Mike.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    this is my 'old-school' G19 i bought back in '90. it did not come with a captive recoil spring, but i've since replaced it with one. my G19 has been the one pistol i've taken with me hiking, camping, road trips etc - just anywhere without worrying about it. the perfect 'utility' pistol. the only other things i've done to it is smooth out and lighten the stock trigger with a ghost 3.5 lb rocket connector, and add more texture to the grip with a soldering iron. more recently was a spray paint job with alumahyde, as it was looking a bit ratty and i just wanted a different colour. i also installed warren tactical sights on it.
    Last edited by militarymoron; 01-02-07 at 12:10. Reason: more comments

Feedback Score

My G19

I bought it in the end of 1988. I didn't see your serial # in the post, sorry if I missed it. Mine is DL6xxUS.

It looks like it has the original striker, so you most likely need the six part upgrade. Read about it here:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

If you can find a Glock armorer or dealer, Glock will furnish the parts for free, I think.

I also replaced the recoil spring & guide with the newer captured spring unit.

The 19 is my favorite Glock.
    Good shooting!