Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelter/Tents/Bivouac

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Shelter/Tents/Bivouac

What's everyone using for shelter? I'm still debating on what to use in the BOB. I haven't ruled out the Hammock, but it's already been noted as to why it's not always the most advantageous option. The jury's still out for me. I'm looking at everything from a poncho & some 550 cord, to an ultralight backpacking tent. In the past, I've used the Eureka Solitaire. The lightweight nature was a very big plus, but the size wasn't stellar, and it got extremely crowded with gear + sleeper.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-20-09 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    What's everyone using for shelter? I'm still debating on what to use in the BOB. I haven't ruled out the Hammock, but it's already been noted as to why it's not always the most advantageous option. The jury's still out for me. I'm looking at everything from a poncho & some 550 cord, to an ultralight backpacking tent. In the past, I've used the Eureka Solitaire. The lightweight nature was a very big plus, but the size wasn't stellar, and it got extremely crowded with gear + sleeper.
    What type of weather? How cold? How many seasons? How much experience do you have camping?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got a Heatsheets Bivvy in the BOB, and nice tents at home for general camping.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    What type of weather? How cold? How many seasons? How much experience do you have camping?
    1) All weather types.

2) 30F to 100F

3) 4 seasons

4) Tons.

My experience with lightweight backpacking tents begins and ends at the Eureka Solitaire. I may go back to it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to feel out what everyone else has used, or is using, as a GP shelter. I'm limiting this to backpacking/hiking shelters only, since "camping" for most folks generally involves RVs, Generators, and running water.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-30-09 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    2) 30F to 100F
    30-100F is generally 3 season, so you don't need to get too pricey.

The Eureka should be more than adequate and I have a "mozzie" tent which works great especially in warmer weather for keeping bugs off my wife.

That said I use something different when I'm by myself in wooded areas...Since you have a bit more experience, I'd just get a tarp/hammock/550 cord and a Gore-tex bivy sack. More comfortable sleeping off the ground when it's warm, the bivy will keep you warmer/dryer when it's cold/wet.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1) All weather types.

2) 30F to 100F

3) 4 seasons

4) Tons.

My experience with lightweight backpacking tents begins and ends at the Eureka Solitaire. I may go back to it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to feel out what everyone else has used, or is using, as a GP shelter. I'm limiting this to backpacking/hiking shelters only, since "camping" for most folks generally involves RVs, Generators, and running water.
    I have been using a Bibler (now Black Diamond) tent similar to the Tempest for about 13 years now, but never solo. The tent is quick to set up, the ventilation works, it is solid in the wind (I've set it up twice in hail storms), you can leave your boots and pack outside under the vestibule and the material used is durable and waterproof. I use a Bibler tripod bivy (they still make that one) for going solo. I like the tripod because you sit up in it and its not much of a weight penalty compared to tighter bivy options. Also, it breathes well and keeps insects on the outside.

The Bibler I-tent (for one person) is another option for going solo, but really I think its too much unless you are planning to be stuck inside through prolonged storms and based on your requirements that doesn't seem to be the case. Bibler tents and bivies use a PTFE laminate to ensure that water stays out, but also allowing at least some water vapor to pass. I have used these shelters in -16 to just over 90 degrees F.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have this one lashed up to my BOB, it is really light and if you get the footprint(sold seperately) you can make a quick shelter using the footprint and the rain fly, without having to set up the main tent.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Det...t/SeedhouseSL2

Feedback Score
    If you are looking for a 1 item, to serve all your purposes, you are looking for a tent.

I have a hammock it is great or hot times, but you need trees and in cold times you will freeze.

The Bivi is a great idea an I understand why the military does the bivi, but I wouldn't want to live in a bivi for a week in the rain. I can not get in, out, dressed, undressed in a bivi.

So what do I have....
    I have a couple tents. When I want to go to the woods light in the cold, I take a single person tent. The honest truth is I want a 1.5 or 2 man tent and I must be able to sit up in this tent.

I have a Hammock. This has been to the woods a couple times, but timming is everything and I have not been able to make it to the woods when a hammock would be the best option.

I own a bivi, but not a good bivi. I went to the woods once with it. I am tempted to use it with the hammock as extra protection.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    sounds like i'll just get scoffed at, but you can get rolls of good plastic sheeting.. 4 mil is perfectly adequate for SHTF needs, 6 mil is almost indestructable. 10' wide, by however long you want. roll it out, cut it to length, roll it back up.. takes up 2"x12" tubular space in the pack and weighs about a pound. string it up with 550 cord and you'll stay dry and perfectly warm with a good camp pad and bag.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i'm a hennessy hammock user and have had my setup out in 10 deg nights with the insulation under-bag from Jacks-R-Better. i sleep great in my hammock and upgraded the standard fly with the untralight oversized model. my whole system for cold weather packs down to the size of two grapefruits.

i also have:

Big Agnes Emerald Mtn 3 w/ accessory vestibule
    Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight
    Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3D
    Eureka Timberline 4XT
    OR Delux Bivy

can you tell i camp a lot?
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast