Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Homemade" Bullets

Feedback Score

"Homemade" Bullets

Here is my latest bullet design. It is a lightweight .308 130gr. The predicted BC is ~.400 so it should fly pretty well. Muzzle velocity in a .308 Win should be about 3000 fps with proper powder selection. Bullet was CNC lathe turned from 99.9% pure copper rod. The tip was turned from black Delrin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Double.
    Last edited by Mikey; 03-21-09 at 05:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks good.

Why such a light weight? I'm not brushed up on my BC / charge weight / reloading knowledge. But I usually see much heavier weight bullets ie: 168 gr or so.

Mike

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very nice.

Would you be interested in turning a custom design, and what would you charge?

PS What tool(s) do you use to predict BC?
    Last edited by Disciple; 03-21-09 at 06:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Looks good.

Why such a light weight? I'm not brushed up on my BC / charge weight / reloading knowledge. But I usually see much heavier weight bullets ie: 168 gr or so.

Mike
    I'm not the guy, and I'm sure he'll tell you, but I think because it is an all copper bullet that it will be lighter than a lead bullet of similar length.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    The Lilja rifle barrel website has some good computer code for making calculations of BC, and stability. These tend to be approximations at best so actual shooting data will still be needed.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...let_design.htm
    http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/software.htm

At this point this is a hobby. Just like somene who casts their own bullets. I don't have a class 6 FFL so I can't sell these for profit.

These are the previous designs.

.451 Muzzloader bullet.

Fired Into Water @1700fps

145gr (L) and 138gr right

.300 Wby Mag and .308 Win

The 145gr version is generally unsuitable for the .308 due to the ogive shape (results in short OAL). It works much better in the Weatherby due to the freebore.

Here are sectioned views of the above bullets.

By the way the 145gr bullet yielded 3/4" (@100 yds) groups in a Weatherby Vanguard (std. model)

The density of copper is significantly lower than that of lead. A copper bullet must be significantly longer in order to weigh the same as a conventional lead cored bullet. Copper monolithic bullets make up for this weight disadvantage by allowing higher muzzle velocity, and greater wight retention. For example a 180gr Nosler Accubond may retain 70% of its weight after a close range impact with water or tissue (retained weight 126gr). The 130 gr copper monithic bullet can in many cases retain 100 of its weight.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 03-21-09 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Impressive.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's a heckuva good job as a hobbyist.

Are you sure an FFL is needed to sell component bullets? I thought that was only required for loaded ammunition.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much for some .308 "paperweights"?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You don’t need a FFL to sale bullets. You need one to manufacture ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast