Thread: Total Program for getting into great condition

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Total Program for getting into great condition

If anyone is looking for a basic plan on how to get into solid condition, muscular conditioning or "functional strength" (vs shear strength or muscle mass) is important, and great cardiopulmonary condition is essential. A solid program for that would be a good "functional strength" routine and solid cardio program. Here's what you do:

Monday, Wed, Fri, use this gizmo called a TRX trainer:

TRX Info

Those things are great for developing functional whole body strength vs "gym strength" and muscle mass.

Tue and Thurs, do low intensity aerobics via running (unless you have some injury etc that prevents you from running) using a heart rate monitor to optimize intensity. How to use a heart rate monitor:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-2X5-3,00.html

Finally, Sat you do HIIT training. HIIT training is VERY effective for conditioning beyond simple aerobics and bridges the gap between aerobics and resistance training both in effects and metabolically speaking. Good info on HIIT here:

http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...l_training.php

Sunday, is 100% off!. No exercise of any kind. Just recoup. That's the schedule and it will get anyone into great condition all around. How fast a person will be able to jump into all that, depends on their starting point, so pace yourself and expect it to take a few weeks to a few month or so to be full speed at all that.

Although the above program will get most people into good overall condition, I also think many in the mil/le community over emphasize endurance over strength.

Given rest and good nutrition, that type of program is very effective, but of course variables such as goals, injuries, experience levels, etc, etc, all have to be taken into account.

The routine/program above is geared toward conditioning and can be done essentially anyplace.

A program I have used with people for example, is similar to what is above, but 2 of those days are done doing 80-90% 1 RM (3-6reps) basic movements of squats, deadlifts, weighted chins, etc. ergo, multi joint "bang for the buck" exercises. See other posts on this forum regarding progression models and common mistakes in program design.

A program with a greater emphasis on strength and muscle mass, For example:

Mond: upper body weights (using core multi joint exercises in the 80-90% 1RM range)

Tue: low intensity steady state aerobics (running, etc)

Wed: Lower body weights (using core multi joint exercises in the 80-90% 1RM range)

Thurs: same as Tue

Friday: whole body using TRX Suspension trainer.

Sat: HIIT training:

Sun: Off!

This is a tough routine, and attention to nutrition, rest, rehab, etc, is essential to benefit from it, much less survive it. Generally speaking a full 5-7 days off should be taken every 10-12 weeks when following the above. The above is similar to what I follow personally.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-05-10 at 12:02.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It was in looking for more information on HIIT that I came across this link, and thought it would be worth sharing with anyone else interested:

http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

I'd never heard about HIIT until you mentioned it, so thanks for the heads up.

So starts my journey of 1,000 miles...
    Last edited by MisterWilson; 04-02-09 at 00:53.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    It was in looking for more information on HIIT that I came across this link, and thought it would be worth sharing with anyone else interested:

http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

I'd never heard about HIIT until you mentioned it, so thanks for the heads up.

So starts my journey of 1,000 miles...
    There's a link about HIIT in my post above also. What you posted has some decent info, but also some recommendations I would not agree with. For example, the page recommend HIIT every other day. That's a sure fired way to over training and or injury. Done correctly (and most dont) HIIT is very intense and challenges your ability to recoup. Two, I like HIIT mixed with other forms of exercise as outlined above vs. done as the exclusive form of exercise.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Two, I like HIIT mixed with other forms of exercise as outlined above vs. done as the exclusive form of exercise.
    No doubt, my problem however is that I'm basically starting from a dead stop.

Let's "pretend" that I've been suffering from the good life for the last 5 years and I'm going straight from couch & computer to starting my first jog through the neighborhood today.

I don't disagree that yours is quite the effective plan, I'm just not there yet.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    No doubt, my problem however is that I'm basically starting from a dead stop.

Let's "pretend" that I've been suffering from the good life for the last 5 years and I'm going straight from couch & computer to starting my first jog through the neighborhood today.

I don't disagree that yours is quite the effective plan, I'm just not there yet.
    Understood, but HIIT is an advanced and very intense method of exercise as mentioned above. It's not for people starting from a dead stop regardless. Two, programs listed above have beginner - to advanced advice withing each segment. Also depends on your goals. So, you can follow the link about how to use a heart rate monitor for running, and follow the beginners option, and so on. What I put above is not an advanced program per se, it's just a well rounded program, which can be made as difficult or as easy as needed. Good luck.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-03-09 at 07:28.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I found something very similar to the TRX for less $$$. The Vegas Pro (I knew a gal with that same name but I digress...) is essentially a perfect mixture of TRX and Blast Straps in the design. Looks like you could get more or less the same workout on them as the TRX, but more then the Blast Straps.

From the looks of it, the Vegas Pro looks less robustly built. You could lift a car with the TRX, though I doubt it matters. For $100 less, the Vegas Straps look worth having, but having not used them, I can't vouch 100% on that. The Vegas Straps, like the Blast Straps, appear to need specific anchor points to attach to, where the TRX will connect to a tree branch, or just about damn near anything. I have been using it for example with a group/ team I am training at an outdoor range, and the TRX is attached to a tree branch.

The TRX is self adjusting/self leveling when attached to an uneven set up, the Vegas/ BS are not as they are two seperate pieces. So, if you plan to keep the vegas pro at home attached to it's anchor points at your home gym, etc, it looks like it's GTG for less $$$ then TRX. See:

http://www.vegasprostraps.com/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a simplified solution: Swim 33 laps of freestyle (1 mile) 5x a week.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I have a simplified solution: Swim 33 laps of freestyle (1 mile) 5x a week.
    It's not simplified, it's just different. Swimming does not offer the same level of, or type of resistance. Depending on your goals, it's a great form of exercise, or not the type to fit a goal. An overall balanced program will include some form of resistance training above what resistance swimming can offer.

Good luck.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will,
    Why do say the mil/le community overemphasizes endurance? Do you mean at the expense of weight training, or that endurance is simply less necessary than believed to be?

I ask because after having been swamped with schoolwork for way too long I am trying to get back in shape for my PFT so I began running 2 times a week and maybe another sprint-oriented workout alternated with weight training. I was hoping to start swimming or biking at least one of those aerobic days.

I would like to try some of the core multi-joint exercises, but I don't even know of any....and the TRX link did not work for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    Will,
    Why do say the mil/le community overemphasizes endurance?
    'Cause they do.

The mil community is starting to recognize that also, and are starting to realize modern military does no march across entire countries anymore and greater focus on functional strength is just as, if not more, important to the modern warrior in modern war. The marines for example have adopted a functional strength test for example called the CFT:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/comm...forums_080128/

Also, see some comments regarding the concept, etc on my blog regarding reducing injury rates in SOF:

http://www.brinkzone.com/blog/swat-l...n-sf-soldiers/

Do you mean at the expense of weight training, or that endurance is simply less necessary than believed to be?

I ask because after having been swamped with schoolwork for way too long I am trying to get back in shape for my PFT so I began running 2 times a week and maybe another sprint-oriented workout alternated with weight training. I was hoping to start swimming or biking at least one of those aerobic days.

I would like to try some of the core multi-joint exercises, but I don't even know of any....
    Movements such as squats, cleans, deadlifts, etc.

and the TRX link did not work for me.
    Try fitnessanywhere

Yours truly using TRX:
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-05-10 at 12:26.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info: