Thread: Has anybody made or tried Hardtack?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Has anybody made or tried Hardtack?

We got a couple buckets of wheat given to us by someone that was rotating out their wheat storage. The gal that gave it to us was not sure on the age but was getting rid of it because her bread wouldn't rise anymore. She tested the wheat by sprouting it and it wouldn't so she gave it away.

We were going to feed it all to the chickens but my son had the idea of making Hardtack out of it since it wouldn't rise.

We ground some of the wheat using our Magic Mill grinder on the finest setting and I adjusted the recipe in the above link as follows:
    * 2 cups whole wheat flour
    * 1 teaspoons salt
    * 1 cup water
    * Baked in oven at 375 for an hour, flipping every 20 minutes.

It was left to sit in ziplock bags for 24 hours and then we gave it a try. It was hard but had a good flavor even though I found it to be a little on the salty side. I thought this was odd since I had cut the amount of salt that the original recipe called for by half. I guess they liked their hardtack pretty salty back then.

I like rye crisp crackers so I am thinking of trying a variation of the Swedish Hardtack recipe next.

Has anybody else tried to make it or eat it? I am going to put some aside to see how long it will last without moulding.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Hardtack

Used to pack it during survival trips (10-14 days). Hard as a rock but it keeps forever.
    "Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yelp I use to be in the 4th Alabama inf. doing reenactments of the War between the states for about 4 yrs.

Feedback Score
    I tried it a few years back. Almost the same recipe but I added more salt. It was OK but I didn't test it for longevity.

We also tried making some bannock, which I remember as liking a little better. Don't know if it lasts as long as hardtack but its similar. It made a good trail food or something to pocket when hunting. Combine 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt with each cup of flour. Add cold water and mix to form a thick dough. Fry in a greased skillet until crusty on one side, then turn and fry the other side until crusty. Sugar or bits of dried fruit can be added to increase flavor. I think we added some dried blueberries. I've seen some suggest pieces of dried fish but that was a no-go, at least for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark/MO View Post
    I tried it a few years back. Almost the same recipe but I added more salt. It was OK but I didn't test it for longevity.

We also tried making some bannock, which I remember as liking a little better. Don't know if it lasts as long as hardtack but its similar. It made a good trail food or something to pocket when hunting. Combine 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt with each cup of flour. Add cold water and mix to form a thick dough. Fry in a greased skillet until crusty on one side, then turn and fry the other side until crusty. Sugar or bits of dried fruit can be added to increase flavor. I think we added some dried blueberries. I've seen some suggest pieces of dried fish but that was a no-go, at least for me.
    I had some with the fish too it was a No GO for me too yuck

Feedback Score
    I have made it a couple of times. It can get HARD, but it keeps. I also do Civil War Reenacting (20th Maine)
    RudyN

Feedback Score
    it sounds like lotr elven bread.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RudyN View Post
    I have made it a couple of times. It can get HARD, but it keeps. I also do Civil War Reenacting (20th Maine)
    OUTSTANDING!! I really miss doing it.when we galvanized we were the 79th New york(Scottish vol)we wore kilts and had a bagpiper it was a blast.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DANGER CLOSE View Post
    it sounds like lotr elven bread.
    More like Orc Bread.

Lemblas=Elvin Pop-Tarts!