Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good survival book

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just picked it up and it is an excellent book. It is easy to read with a ton of good information.

Feedback Score
    There's the book "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles. It's a fictional story about surviving an economic collapse (rioting, looters, long term survival, making stuff from nothing, guns & ammo, etc...). It's pretty informative & entertaining. There is an index referencing pages in the book to find water filters, AR-15, etc... LOL.

Feedback Score
    About the best basic book I have ever found on the subject is the USAF Survival Handbook. Cost about $14 at Barnes & Noble.

Survivalism and Survivalist mean different things to different people. I read Rawles' online Triple-Ought which was the Patriots predecessor; was not impressed with any of his conjecture. I was critical of the guy back in the mid-90s when he was selling rifles with the only purpose being thwarting ATF registration. Anyone who bought his high-priced crap with 120yr old technology and metallurgy, just to avoid filling out BATF paperwork, deserves what they paid for. Anyone who thinks a car-load of survivalist buddies is going to blast out of Chicago inside of 45mins of the balloon going up is a simpleton. Finally, I guess everybody needs specially altered CB or FRF radios and a Barrett 50 semi-auto to be a "prepared survivalist"... Yeah, right.

Yet, there is Big Money to be made pandering to those who cannot see the writing on the walls, and are willing to pay for what others say they ought to have.

Mel Tappan's writings, especially Survival Guns is still applicable. His concept or working guns and defensive weapons still makes lots of sense. Kurt Saxon's books detail more than any other source (besides early Mother Earth News) the Self-Sufficient will power and capability any survivalist needs. No one has ever written a better Survival primer than Bruce Clayton's Life After Doomsday. The ultimate "survival" book though, has to be Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny who was in the employ of Oakridge National Laboratory when the book was written and this explains why it is in Public Domain and can be downloaded free on the net (ki4u.com etc).

I see more and more Rambo mentalities among "survivalists" these days. In my book, survivalism is about relocating away from the line of fire, into an area with potential for self-sufficient living. These days though, many people think they're going to "survive" beaucoup firefights and that Ramboing along with an AK, body armor, and 500rds of ammunition with a few pounds of other gear in a backpack is going to deliver them. An interesting premise, but no less a fantasy than Rawles' book.

It all comes down to staying Warm, Dry, Hydrated, Fed, and capable of self-defense; pretty much in that order. Those who think they will make a last minute Bug-Out, and that guns are more important than food and water filters, are living in some other reality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good and informed post, Ed Hogan. I do think there's some validity in preparing for both short-term disasters (in which a "bug-out" kit including firearms) could be useful, and long-term survival situations, which takes a different kind of mindset and involves areas you don't even have to think about for the short-term cases (such as growing food). But on your larger point, I couldn't agree more: a lot of folks seem to think that building up a cache of weapons and ammo constitutes "planning ahead", when in reality, self-defense is likely to be the least of your concerns in a longer term situation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So what does he say on firearms?! Just curious...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Call me old fashioned or un-cool, but I just have a shelf full of "liberated" FM's and TM's. And in my BOB I have a copy of ST31-180 and FM 4-25.
    Infact some of these I need to throw away. Why in the hell do I have "the M-60 in the automatic rifle role" ? Why did I keep some of this shit?

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I'm going to ask for Les's book for Christmas. My son and I love watching his show so I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

Feedback Score
    Wow! I'm glad I checked this thread. Great suggestions from everyone. I also watch Les Stroud whenever Survivorman is on. Will be getting his book and the others mentioned by Ed.

I'm doing research for a book about survival after a doomsday scenerio, and up until now, I've been scrounging around for odd bits of info.
    Don't want to hijack, but I'm looking for any tested urban survival techniques and general detection avoidance in rural and city neighborhoods. Any additional info is well appreciated from anyone.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    The go to guy for many of the younger outdoor, survival, bushcraft experts is a fellow called Mors Kochanski. He has been at the business end of living outdoors on purpose rather than by accident for many years.

Mors lives up in Canada where he runs two or three courses a year. For those of you who read survival and outdoor living books he has written some excellent books and pamphlets on the subject. I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Outd.../dp/1551051222

If you check you tube there are also some videos of the old man sharing his knowledge.

He came to the UK around two years back and the course he ran was full within an hour of being announced.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast