Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good survival book

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    ........ I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

And you would be right, I do have a copy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And you would be right, I do have a copy.
    I should have known.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a1fabweld View Post
    There's the book "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles. It's a fictional story about surviving an economic collapse (rioting, looters, long term survival, making stuff from nothing, guns & ammo, etc...). It's pretty informative & entertaining. There is an index referencing pages in the book to find water filters, AR-15, etc... LOL.
    I just finished this book.Entertaining read overall with good survival tips and recommendations strewn about

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I should have known.

It is a very good book. There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.

Feedback Score
    It is a very good book. There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.
    I think we can easily say that Mors was out there whilst most others were still an itch in their respective fathers pants.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.
    The Big Mans book is a good introduction for the person interested in being able to cope well outdoors. My copy is also very old.

Ray Mears is the current guru for the military and many civilians - as for Bear Grylls,,,,,,sorry I nearly chocked then.

But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.
    Indeed!

I have chatted with several folks about their love for gadgetry. Then you ask them "Have you ever used that doo-dad to start a fire in a windy rainstorm with numb hands? How did it go, with all the little magnesium shavings flying away, and your fingers not working?"

You typically get a blank look......

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Deep Survival

I just read Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales and really enjoyed it. It's not a survival handbook/guide but takes a very high-level approach to some of the physical and psychological aspects of why/how people get into tight spots and then how they react and why. He uses actual incidents to make his points, too.

Again, this book isn't a survival guide but has, I believe, some very, very good information. I'm beginning to get serious about this stuff and feel like it compliments hands-on, practical books and information very well.

Feedback Score
    So... I am new to this topic and would like to get into it in a serious, meaningful, fun, and practical way for someone who lives in a subdivision within city limits.

Thanks for all the information provided .. and Thanks in advance for your advice.

thx
    Carlos
    Last edited by Ukamono; 06-13-10 at 11:32. Reason: My request for advice moved out of the main topic. So I moved it to the main forum.
    "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    For field survival I really like and recommend to students "98.6 degrees, the art of keeping your ass alive". Cody Lundin can be a bit of an odd guy but he focuses on mindset and "tested" skills, instead of old school dogma. Takeaway: maintain a party on attitude and understand some basics and you will have a much better chance of surviving.
    +1, I have purchased about 10 copies over the years as Christmas gifts for my "outdoors challenged" friends. This is the book that will keep people alive for the typical 3 day lost scenario. Snares? we don't need no stinking snares!

HD

Feedback Score
    I,ve really enjoyed Cody Lundin,s books

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast