Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good survival book

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Books

Just picked up a copy of the US Army survival guide seems there is some good info in that manual. Cheap too fleabay

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    I just finished patriots and loved it. I like the idea of buying those types of books as presents for people who otherwise wouldn't be interested. May spark someone to survive. You never know.

Feedback Score
    I will need to get a few of these books and want to thank those who have posted the previous information.

I did want to ask if anyone knows of a good work on the subject of longer term survival? Specifically, more of a pioneer's how to book. How to make a butter churn, wood stove, as well as some basic metalurgy, farming techniques with hand implements, leatherwork etc.

I think a lot of this older technology is lost to us these days. I believe that I would have no problem caring for my families survival for a month or 2 but long term with no tech I believe we would be in trouble.

Feedback Score
    Hi Doc,

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    I will need to get a few of these books and want to thank those who have posted the previous information.

I did want to ask if anyone knows of a good work on the subject of longer term survival? Specifically, more of a pioneer's how to book. How to make a butter churn, wood stove, as well as some basic metalurgy, farming techniques with hand implements, leatherwork etc.

I think a lot of this older technology is lost to us these days. I believe that I would have no problem caring for my families survival for a month or 2 but long term with no tech I believe we would be in trouble.
    Everyone would be in trouble. That aside there are some things you can do to mitigate some severe problems.

I assume from the screen name that you know a tad about tylenol and bandaids. That would be more than most people. Basic skills in mechancal engineering, plumbing, electrics ........ anything like that would be more than beneficial to you, even now for home use.

I am not an out and out survivalist, I think some of them are a fry short of a happy meal. However, I did courses and learnt things in the military and you cannot un-learn stuff. I enjoy bushcraft/woodcraft/extreme camping, what ever you want to call it. Through that I have learned how to: make fire by rubbing sticks together; build shelters; purify water in the field; make basic tools and utensils; and, a few other things.

I flicked through a book in a bookstore at the weekend, it was called something like the Bugout handbook. I would'nt buy it or any other similar "Oh my gosh the world is ending" book. They are generally filled with untried or secondhand information aimed primarily at the "I need a bugout kit and I'll keep it in the closet" market.

I would advise you to invest in a couple, or three, books from respected and well known outdoor types that have lots of experience.

1. Any of the Ray Mears books (Ray teaches bushcraft to UK Special Forces, but is not allowed to talk about it)

http://www.raymears.com/

2. also the book by Mors Kochanski is a definate must.

3. (a) And, either this one. Which I have seen and intend to buy, I have not read it yet though,

http://us.dk.com/static/cs/us/11/fea...val/intro.html

(b) or, The Lofty Wiseman SAS Survival book.

The US Army and Air Force survival manuals are available free on the net. I don't rate them, but they are free.

Also, everyone I know that does bushcraft in the UK carries three Collins Gem books in their rucksacks. Now then, the Gem books are only as big as the palm of your hand so they take up not too much room in a rucksack or bag. These are the three books:

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Sa.../dp/0004723023

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Fo...482129&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Tr...4482129&sr=1-2

The first two are pretty self explanatory. Tree recognition is useful for: identifying optimal woods for making fire bows and drills; some tree bark is edible and can provide enough nourishment to sustain life; trees are also a useful source of medicines.

There are lots of old time, homesteaders type DIY books out there which would provide lots of useful long term information. As would a book or two on vegetable gardening.

Ok, so there are the books. But the only way of learning a skill is by practicing a skill and the time to do that is not when you need it. There are huge amounts of outdoor bushcraft gear sold every day and it never gets used - it gets put away just in case. Even if people get no further than the back yard in their outdoor adventures they should practice regularly until they can do things easily.

Sorry, end of sermon.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-14-10 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    Thank you Von!

I will check those books out.
    I do have some experience with the basic survival stuff. But could certainly use to have some reference material on hand.

I was a boy scout and have done a good bit of primitive backpacking/camping in my youth. I have constructed shelters, made and successfully used a fire bow, various snares and traps and a solar (water) still. I also hunt, fish (including flyfishing using my own flies) and have a good size organic vegetable and herb garden. My wife and I do can veggies and make our own homemade jellys. My oldest two daughters have started in scouting (American heritage girls not those liberal nazi girl scouts) and I have become involved in teaching a lot of the woodscraft stuff.

But it occurred to me while reading One Second After that a lot of technology that were used in the 1700-1800s I don't understand to the point I could replicate it. For example- I have preserved animal skins with fur for fly tying. But without the Borax I purchased from the store to do that...How could it be done? I understand that soap was made from lye and rendering of fat. How do you do it? Those kinds of things and hundreds of others would be important over the long haul. Any info on those things? Keep the info coming!

Feedback Score
    I have Les' book and think it is a great guide, also the Air Force Survival manual is good. I also got a book covering edible plants, and spent last fall and winter in the woods IDing the plants, and trying a few. Don't look for taste! my 2cents...

Rick

Feedback Score
    huntingdoc, for preserving hides, I use either salt or wood ash. About a lb of salt per pound of hide is usually the preferred quantiy and I would do that two times. 3 days in between each application

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post

But it occurred to me while reading One Second After that a lot of technology that were used in the 1700-1800s I don't understand to the point I could replicate it. For example- I have preserved animal skins with fur for fly tying. But without the Borax I purchased from the store to do that...How could it be done? I understand that soap was made from lye and rendering of fat. How do you do it? Those kinds of things and hundreds of others would be important over the long haul. Any info on those things? Keep the info coming!

Regarding the preserving of animal skins, "Deerskins to Buckskins" by Matt Richards is an exceptional how to with all natural materials. The hair on method is a little different from the normal tanning process but braintan.com has a forum that also has tons of info on the subject from people that have primitively tanned hundreds to thousands of hides. as far as soap from lye and rendered fat goes, i followed a recipe from the website below. i only tried it recently so the soap hasnt cured long enough yet to test it out. will update with the results when its finished.

http://67.222.53.210/frontierfreedom...sk=view&id=105

-Randall

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    While books on survival technique are useful I haven't found them particularly revealing enough to recommend one book over the other. I'm sure Les Stroud is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. Other survival skills are simply a matter of practice (if you haven't practiced starting a fire without match/lighter you really need to practice it when your life doesn't depend on it).

The best book I've ever read was given to me by a member of this forum and is hands down the best book I've ever read on the subject. Rather than dealing with specific techniques, it deals with the survival mindset which is far more critical than anything else in determining who lives and who dies.

More interestingly the mindset it discusses has broad application beyond mere survival.

The book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales.

Check it out.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    While books on survival technique are useful I haven't found them particularly revealing enough to recommend one book over the other. I'm sure Les Stroud is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. Other survival skills are simply a matter of practice (if you haven't practiced starting a fire without match/lighter you really need to practice it when your life doesn't depend on it).

The best book I've ever read was given to me by a member of this forum and is hands down the best book I've ever read on the subject. Rather than dealing with specific techniques, it deals with the survival mindset which is far more critical than anything else in determining who lives and who dies.

More interestingly the mindset it discusses has broad application beyond mere survival.

The book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales.

Check it out.
    Les Stroud spends a lot of time discussion mindset in his book. That along with techniques and methods make it a great book in my opinion. However, it's not an end-all-be-all book. It's just a step in a long series of reading, learning, experimenting, practicing.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast