Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good survival book

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any and all of the FoxFire book series deals directly with old technology and skills.

Everything from building a cabin to making food and moonshine.

I think this is the first one; http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-D.../dp/0385073534

Lots of photos and diagrams. The entire series (12 or 13 books in all?) is a wealth of information. Think encyclopedia of britannica for old methods.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

Any Boy Scout Handbook, PRIOR to the 1972 printing, & Boy Scout Fieldbook prior to 1979.

They are written so that a 12 year old boy can understand them, and they come with clear, concise, directions and illustrations, they're field-use durable, AND... they can still be had for a quarter at yard sales across the country.

When the baby boomer enrollment was peaking in the Scouting movement (1957 - 1971), almost 100,000,000 handbooks were printed during that time. Used ones in service-grade condition are still quite easy to find.

A good handbook and fieldbook will make for good reading for the WHOLE family/group in your surivival circle, and will ESPECIALLY appeal to the young 'uns. Getting your Scouting-age boys in the program NOW, is a good way to PRACTICE & HONE these skills today, too.

1st ed. Fieldbook cover (1944-1967)

1965 BSA Handbook cover

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Any and all of the FoxFire book series deals directly with old technology and skills.

Everything from building a cabin to making food and moonshine.

I think this is the first one; http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-D.../dp/0385073534

Lots of photos and diagrams. The entire series (12 or 13 books in all?) is a wealth of information. Think encyclopedia of britannica for old methods.
    The Foxfire books have good stuff in them. I think that I have the first four books on .pdf files. If anyone wants them, just send me an e-mail to ewholmes at gmail dot com and I will send them to you.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Took your advice on the scout field book however I have a few questions.

The first edition appears to have finished its printing in 1959 -- the second edition printed from 67-83. Between the two editions the chapter titles appear to have changed and a few removed/added to the mix. What other changes appeared between the two editions, and what changed in 1979. Or, did you mean 1959, and you were instead suggesting we stick with the first edition only?

I've heard that the scouting books have become much more politically correct as time has gone on. Specifically, skills related to building wood furniture and the like have been replaced with more "leave no trace" info.

You mentioned that the pages were very durable and that this was a "field use" book. Picking a copy up online and am looking forward to enjoying the material.

Thanks for the heads up, great suggestion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Any Boy Scout Handbook, PRIOR to the 1972 printing, & Boy Scout Fieldbook prior to 1979.
    Why the publication date recommendation? Oh and assistant cub & scout master here and I agree 100%, get your boys into scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I've heard that the scouting books have become much more politically correct as time has gone on. Specifically, skills related to building wood furniture and the like have been replaced with more "leave no trace" info.
    They have gotten a bit more PC in some areas. In other areas the changes were good. The "leave no trace" concept is good, but they have taken it to near eco insane levels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    While books on survival technique are useful I haven't found them particularly revealing enough to recommend one book over the other. I'm sure Les Stroud is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. Other survival skills are simply a matter of practice (if you haven't practiced starting a fire without match/lighter you really need to practice it when your life doesn't depend on it).

The best book I've ever read was given to me by a member of this forum and is hands down the best book I've ever read on the subject. Rather than dealing with specific techniques, it deals with the survival mindset which is far more critical than anything else in determining who lives and who dies.

More interestingly the mindset it discusses has broad application beyond mere survival.

The book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales.

Check it out.
    100% in agreement. I am very impressed with the information and time that went into compiling it all.
    This book is a good reality check for those who think having a go-bag full of survival gear alone will save them.

Get it from Amazon, it's one of the best $11 I have spent in a long time.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave L.; 03-02-11 at 00:37. Reason: add more info
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is a link to some great free e-book resources:

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/ebooks/
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just finished Cody Lundin's 98.6 Degrees The Art of Keeping Your ASS ALIVE. I thought it was a great book. He breaks down short-term survival very simply. I wish I could have read this book ten years ago.

I'm just finished "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" by John McCann. I have to say, I'm overall not impressed but I don't think he necessarily wrote the book for people with a good base of survival knowledge, but more for the novice. He basically explains and showcases many of the good and not so good pieces of survival gear available today (most of it which he sells on his website).
    I actually bought the book out of curiosity and I think it's great for the the person who wants to put together their first survival kit(s). On nice thing about it is that the book reiterates the main necessities of survival and equipment needed to accomplish the goal. The only thing that really changes is the amount and size of tools you can carry to get the job done.

I really like his website though, he sells great survival gear/supplies for very good prices.

Anyone else read John's book? What did you think?
    Last edited by Dave L.; 03-02-11 at 00:36. Reason: Add more info
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    i thought that When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes By Cody Lundin was also a good one

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Bible is a great survival book, if you know what I mean I also agree that Deep Survival is also a very good book.
    Last edited by rezin23; 04-04-11 at 23:49.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast