Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding running and shoes?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    +100 to iroc_dis's post. Been a distance runner since the early 70's (yes, a dinosaur, close to 55) w/ 10+ long runs (read marathons here) & used to work @ Sportspectrum in Shreveport, LA.
    It is arguably one of the best fitness stores in the South w/ a very knowledgeable (runners, tri & iron) staff. The errornet & phone comms. have their place but NOTHING like a
    hands on from a KNOWLEDGABLE runner/triathlete. NEVER be cheap w/ what connects you to the earth: shoes, mattress's & tires.
    Sorry for the rant, been in the game a long time now w/ some hard lesson's learned.
    Agile53
    Last edited by Agile53; 03-25-09 at 13:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iroc_dis View Post
    I'd recommend finding a good running shoe store near you, like a Fleet Feet Sports or similar. FFS will analyze your gait on a treadmill and fit you shoes that match your running style.
    Do this.

I cannot stress how important this process is, even for low-mileage runners. As for price, I buy last year's model (Asics) to save some cash because my shoes are done in 3 months.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used to get shin-splints like a mofo. I never even considered buying the right kind of shoes. I'm not an overly aggressive distance runner. However, I began running 5 miles around 4 times a week, and I knew my shoes weren't cutting the mustard. I was fit by a running store in Tacoma, Washington in a pair of Brooks shoes. I have continued to buy them to this day. I tried a pair of Adidas shoes, garbage. I have been purchasing all my shoes lately at runbargains.com. The put the pair of Brooks shoes that I like on sale about every 4 months. Which is pretty close to when I'm ready for new ones.

Feedback Score
    This is similar to the "which optic should I buy while the the subject hasn't even learned to shoot with irons" discussions we have on here from time to time. While the subject learns to shoot with irons he will begin to understand more and more the right optic options etc.

Running is a skill. Learn how to do it right first. Save yourselves money, effort, injury, and frustration.

People accept instruction and learn how to do a correct pushup, pullup, squat etc but just figure they have running pegged. I came from the same line of thinking so that's why I'm a tad insistent on helping people out in this area. (been there done that have the t-shirt kinda thing) Hope it's coming across helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    Hope it's coming across helpful.
    imho, it is.

you are right. i have been running pretty regularly for...um, holy crap, i'm old, 25 years or so...and i was never really taught to distance run.

sprinting, yes. distance running, nope...never had any instruction come to think of it.

gonna have to try the whole running barefoot thing.

it is still my experience, though, that the right pair of shoes makes a huuuuuuge difference. perhaps only to enable bad form, but they will still keep you on the road...in my experience, at least.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    This is similar to the "which optic should I buy while the the subject hasn't even learned to shoot with irons" discussions we have on here from time to time. While the subject learns to shoot with irons he will begin to understand more and more the right optic options etc.

Running is a skill. Learn how to do it right first. Save yourselves money, effort, injury, and frustration.

People accept instruction and learn how to do a correct pushup, pullup, squat etc but just figure they have running pegged. I came from the same line of thinking so that's why I'm a tad insistent on helping people out in this area. (been there done that have the t-shirt kinda thing) Hope it's coming across helpful.
    Quite helpful indeed. I'll tell ya, I don't want to waste the money I do have so I am concentrating on running properly before having someone check my form, style, gate, etc. to fit me for shoes in a fashion of running that is likely to change for me once I am used to running the right way. My calves were killing me last week and the week before because I have never tried to distance run other than heel/toe and concentrating on landing on the balls of my feet takes a concentrated effort and is hell on the calves for someone who has never done it.

Thanks for all the help fellas,

ADH

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    For those who may have the experience/knowledge.

OK, so I run (not nearly as much as I used to because my knee started to hurt). I average about 8-9 miles a week (I run three evenings a week). I was told I shuold be buying new running shoes at least every six months and maybe every four. Every 4 seems excessive, and every 6 months just makes me sit back and ask really? Any advice here is appreciated. I'd also like to know if anyone has a line on good running shoes that aren't so darn costly. Seems like you can get a pretty basic pair of shoes for about $45-$50 especially if something is on sale, but more of the high end gear is over $100.

Thanks for any help.

ADH

it will depend on what trail are you running into...

i use merrel for trail running and some " nike free " for oval training.

Feedback Score
    Try and find a running store that videos you while you run then slows it down and they can tell how and where your foot lands then sell you a shoe that gives you the correct balance and cushioning.

Feedback Score

ADH

I don't run a great deal anymore but used to run 6 to 10 miles a day in my training days! Lets just say I knew my way around the gym and the squared circle. The best shoes I found to wear on my feet, were those New Balance but nowdays everything seems to be made in CHINA and I won't purchase a blessed thing made in that country.

Look for a shoe that will indeed give you support as well as some cushion when you walk in them at the store. I have gone to discount stores and purchased great brand name shoes that a called 2nds in the industry. It doesn' mean they will ruin your feet or joints etc. Some have a slight blemish and they are discounted by 50% or more. I purchased 2 pair of Rockport walking shoes the other day for a 1/3 of what they cost new.

Feedback Score
    Best shoes I've found for my low arched feet are Brooks GTS 8's. Great shoe. Only problem is they only seem to last about 350 miles before you really feel it in the joints. Thinking of trying Asics again to see if they offer any better longevity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast