Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiling in Plastic

Feedback Score

Boiling in Plastic

Boil Water in a Plastic Bottle
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428567...ick_hot_water/

I wouldn't recommend doing this a lot, since there are chemical which get released from plastic, when you heat it up, but if you're in a pinch this is a good trick.

Feedback Score
    Another good alternative to a bottle is to dig a small hole and line it with an oven roaster bag. They are rated for high enough temperatures that shouldn't be an issue with hot rocks. Just make SURE that when you have to reheat your rocks, don't reheat them in open flames, but rather set them in the coals a little to the outside, otherwise the moisture that might have seeped into little cracks in the rocks will expand too quickly and you'll get a taste of geologic shrapnel.

Zip

Feedback Score
    The bottle definately works in a pinch, I have had to do this a few times in Afghanistan.

Like vbrtrmn stated its probably not the best idea, but when you need water, and its the only option it does work. Had pretty good luck with getting the trots or parasites. Might just be super lucky, or the bad critters are still waiting for an appropriate time to attack.............
    Last edited by PACKINHEAT; 08-01-09 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The video has been removed

We threw a sealed 16 oz. bottle in the fire at a recent camping trip to see if it would pop. It had about 3oz. of water left, the top section melted off, and then the water started boiling in the bottom.

Someone at the campout said that you could do it with a paper cup but we didn't have any to try.

Another trick is with packets of oatmeal. Tear off the seal and pour hot water directly into the packet. Stir and enjoy! I keep a couple packets in my gear bag.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PACKINHEAT View Post
    The bottle definately works in a pinch, I have had to do this a few times in Afghanistan.

Like vbrtrmn stated its probably not the best idea, but when you need water, and its the only option it does work. Had pretty good luck with getting the trots or parasites. Might just be super lucky, or the bad critters are still waiting for an appropriate time to attack.............
    If so, ask the doc for a series of Flagil and Albenza. Be prepared to be dizzy as hell, and not drive anywhere for about the second week of the series.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Here's another site with the video, since the previous one was deleted.
    http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=828

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    If so, ask the doc for a series of Flagil and Albenza. Be prepared to be dizzy as hell, and not drive anywhere for about the second week of the series.

Its been a few months since and I never got sick. I have been on Doxy and I took a Z-Pack when I got back, so hopefully I am GtG.

Then again it was flowing water and snow, so probaly not full of little intestonal demons.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Heavy Metal is right. Albenza and Flagil would be what you needed. A twenty foot long intestinal tapeworm that starts flapping around when you're on the john wouldn't be pleasant. Your doc should prescribe them if you regale him with tales of the sh** infested water you had to drink-just to ensure you get them. A tapeworm might not show up for a long, long time. In this case, I say better safe than a parasitic host. Are you in NC?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Heavy Metal is right. Albenza and Flagil would be what you needed. A twenty foot long intestinal tapeworm that starts flapping around when you're on the john wouldn't be pleasant. Your doc should prescribe them if you regale him with tales of the sh** infested water you had to drink-just to ensure you get them. A tapeworm might not show up for a long, long time. In this case, I say better safe than a parasitic host. Are you in NC?

OK, now I am starting to wonder. I have had no health issues at all, but I guess I need to go and see the docs again. I am still in country right now. Thanks for the advice guys.

Not all Docs are created equal, and I am sure these guys have a lot of other worries that seem more pressing than some poor jackass that drank some boiled local water. I do wonder if they would be a bit hesitant to give me anything that could effect my judgement too much, I work with explosives and hazardous items routinely.

We'll see what they have to say. Tapeworms...... that sucks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Question one:

Were you in the high country with no one living in a settlement up-stream of where you drank it?

Question Two: Does your gut feel ok?

If the answer to both is yes, you are likely ok.

If yes to one and no to two, you likely have some type of micro parasite like a cryptosporidium.

If no to both, you could have lots of things.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast