Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 AR

Feedback Score

.308 AR

Does anyone have any experience shooting .308 AR's from various manufacturers? I am plan on building one this year but not sure what company to go with.

Feedback Score
    Armalite or Noveske. Although Magpul is producing a magazine that won't fit either one. The new generation AR10 mags that were once a scarce commodity, are now readily available directly from either Armalite or Noveske. I purchased a AR10 in November that will punch a hole out to 600 yards with ease...ATC

Feedback Score
    I have two Armalite's that will shoot almost MOA with surplus ammo. Love 'em. I also just got a Rock River LAR-8, what a POS. JMHO.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've been very favorably impressed with the DPMS LR308 guns.

Feedback Score
    I would recomend looking into the DPMS also. The availability of P-mags makes it a "must consider" for .308AR purchase.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for your input.

Feedback Score
    Why do you think the RRA is a POS. I have never held or seen one. Very curious.

B

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another thumbs up for the DPMS. I enjoy shooting mine.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    After waiting almost 2 years to get one, it shoots like a dream. Probably a better shooter than I am. However, I have a ton of Fal mags, inch and metric. Of all the mags I have, close to fifty, only 15 will fully insert into the magwell. Of those 15 only 11 will drop free when the mag release is depressed. I even tried brand new FN Austrian manufactured mags, not one would go fully into the magwell. So out of 49 mags, new and used, I have really only 11 serviceable mags for this rifle. I will be calling RRA on Monday to see what can be done. I hate the thought of sending it back now that I finally have it. I'm very disappointed that this rifle would leave the factory like this.

Feedback Score
    I have had a total of 3 Armalite AR10's; 2) were factory 16" guns one was an 10(t) and the other a 10a4, both had the barrels threaded and LMT stocks and the special buffer, Larue rail on the T and factory hand guard on the a4. . Both were very accurate rifles but, I had constant problems with extraction especially with NATO spec ammo. The problem was magnified when the gun got hot, I had sent both of them back to Armalite and they claimed to have opened up the chambers, when they returned the same problems persisted. I sold both rifles with under 500 round though each of them. Submarining the rifle after firing every round, when the rifle is hot blows. My AR10T has been broken and only fired 60 rounds total however, it is very accurate rifle and easy to shoot rapid well aimed shots.

You didn't mention what you wanted to use the rifle for, If you are looking for a accurate semi auto rifle that wont see hard use I think any of the factory guns will probably work for you. If you want a ar10 battle rifle it would be best to look and see what the top tier ar15 manufactures to to their rifles and make sure it is also done on the ar10; staked gas key, pinned gas block, NATO spec chamber etc.

A big nod goes to the rifles that use the Knights Armament style Magazine, with Magpul producing a cost effective reliable magazine it makes it the platform of choice IMO.

I have also fired and observed both the Knights SASS and their battle rifle. Both ran very well.
    Last edited by ErikL; 03-27-09 at 08:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast