Thread: obtaining a tite group

Feedback Score

Question obtaining a tite group

I have a Rock River .223 with a 16" barrel length, 1:9 twist. In shooting factory ammo the rifle groups 3/4" @ 50 yds. I am reloading using Ramshot-Tac 22.5 grains, 55gr fmj/bt-cannelure, CCI sm rifle primers, Winchester new brass.
    At 50 yds it shot 3" groups. If I load to the max charge will that tighten up the group ?

Thanks in advance,

06muscl

Feedback Score
    Which factory ammo are you getting the 3/4" groups with? Sierra lists 24.7gr as a MINIMUM load for TAC with a 55gr bullet, while Ramshot lists 22.7gr for several 55 gr bullets. Is your rifle cycling properly? Are your cases showing signs of a poor seal (the case will be black on the sides). Any number of things that can affect accuracy in a particular rifle. Some bullets need to be driven fast in order to get enough pressure on the base of the bullet to obturate properly to the bore. As long as you stay within the loads listed in the manuals I would try increasing the speed a bit at a time until you find the speet spot.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 03-25-09 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    You really have to work up your loads. Trial and error - lots of good range time. Even tayloring to barrel/twist you are using.

I, and a few others here, really like 24.5 TAC for 55gr for plinking training. You can search the archives here and get some good receipes, but this is the big hobby within the hobby.

As always, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    A whole lot of variables go into that equation.

Everything from what you had to eat/drink, (unless you are using a mechanical rest/firing system), to weather, whether or not your rifle likes that particular case, primer, powder and bullet.

When I was developing loads for my bolt guns I always shot off a concrete bench with my rifle sandbagged in on a rest. I had a home made dope book that I used to note down the weather conditions, loads used, and call/record my shots, (that way I could throw out shooter induced errors).

I then experimented with various cases, (winchester, federal, remington...), various primers, different powders, different loads of a powder, and different bullets.

I found record keeping was a must.

Eventually I was able to dial in the sweet spot for that rifle. It was a lot of work and time but eventually resulted in 5 shots within 0.35" at 100 yards.

Personally I'd suggest doing some reading and researching. Look at the load manuals and see what their most accurate load was. Read the forums and sift carefully through what is out there for what others have done.

I've got a Rock River Coyote in 20" that is supposed to deliver great accuracy using Benchmark powder, Federal match primers, and 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I've got the components currently but just need the time to start the work to develop the load.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I'm using 25.0 TAC under 55gr Montana Gold bullets & WSR primers. This load groups MOA @ 50 with metallic sights & my old eyes. You didn't specify brand of bullet but thay MAY be the source of your enlarged groups.