Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bad info that just won't go away

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here in Topeka.

The good guy stepped out onto his porch and was attacked by the bad guy, who was indeed a very bad guy.

The DA at the time was a gal who really didn't think folks should own guns, at least these evil kind of guns anyway.

Good guy was convicted, I don't remember if it was a plea or not, but I think he took a very reduced charge to avoid a trial for whatever reason.

Feedback Score
    Legally speaking, stepping out of the house to confront someone with a weapon creates a big problem...I believe that Kansas has Castle doctrine and no duty to retreat, but "no duty to retreat" does not mean that you can put yourself into a deadly force situation with someone by stepping outside your house and confronting them...I'd bet that if the SKS fellow in Topeka had waited behind his locked front door and shot the bad guy AFTER he'd broken into the house, this would've been ruled a good shoot...to my eye the "stepping out onto the porch to confront the bad guy" is the big red flag in that story. I'm sure that once that was established, the "he had an assault rifle" argument was then used as the icing on the cake by the prosecutor to try and sway the jury and/or muscle the guy into a plea...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In any situation. Right or wrong. You have to do what the 12 people in a jury would do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by psdiver102 View Post
    In any situation. Right or wrong. You have to do what the 12 people in a jury would do.
    Well said, the sad thing is more often then not those 12 people do not think like you & get to make a decision of what to you should have done over several days what you had seconds to do in a heated situation.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567