Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC Build

Feedback Score

6.8 SPC Build

So I have decided it is time to buid another AR and I figure since I am doing it why not in 6.8 SPC. So here comes the choice.

Barrel - I want something in 16" and probably 1x7.

Being I have never worked with this round before I don't have a clue what would be a good barrel for the rifle.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Feedback Score

Might check Stag Arms

They were advertising that they were making a 6.8 and their 5.56 fit the discription you listed. Perhaps they sell the barrel by itself.

Semper Fi!

Feedback Score
    1-7 twist is too fast for 6.8SPC unless you are going to try and shoot the heaviest of heavy .270 bullets... But then your velocity will be in the 1500-2000fps range... 1-10 twist is fast enough... I'm not even sure they offer 1-7 for .270 caliber??? Most are using bullets in the 90-115gr. range with a few tinkering with 130gr. .270 bullets. Hornady was supposed to come out with a 120gr. bullet.
    "Take me boating or lose me forever..."

Feedback Score
    Twist rate for the 6.8 should be somewhere between 1/10 and 1/11. ABS, Douglas, and Noveske all make fine 6.8 barrels. Midlength gasport position works best for the 16".

What muzzle device you plan on using will determine what thread you'll want to go with.

Feedback Score
    I have not determined what muzzle device I am going to use yet because I haven't finalized the budget on this one yet. Anything you want to add to help me decide is great. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Honestly, there are a lot of choices.

In 1/2x28 you have the Troy Medieval, the Surefire FA68A Suppressor Adaptor, and you can have pretty much any other FH reamed out to work.

In the mil thread you've got the .308 Phantom and Vortex, the Surefire FH762S Suppressor Adapter, and scores of others.

Feedback Score
    I think I am going to go with the 1/2x28. I was pretty sure I was going with the FA68A so that will work. Thanks for your help Captain.

Feedback Score
    In addition to the mid-length gas system (except for shorties), make sure you get a barrel with the M4 feed ramp extensions. This will ensure 100% reliability across all ammo types. Also, I have shot form 110gr to 150gr through my 1X9.5 with excellent accuracy.

Good luck! The 6.8mm is a hell of a lot of fun.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    If your looking for ammo with your new build you may want to check out www.midwayusa.com they have 6.8 spc. silver state armory ammo for about $150.00 for 200 rounds. If you have the chance to reload I would do that.

Dennyguns and recon barrels in stock for $355.00. I'm thinking about purchasing a 16 inche ss barrel from jtac for about $355.00 and that includes the bolt. Just some information for you.

From,
    Joe....

Feedback Score
    I'm going to check out that ammo for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast