Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt 1918 USGI Retro...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Gents, thanks for all the kind words... these Retro style guns are still proving to be a very popular build style for us. I think for a lot of folks they deliver the classic looks so many love with far more usability than either a bone stock gun or many of the customs of the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Jason,

Very nice 1911.

I do have one question about your retro builds. Having seen several of your retro builds either here or on LTW, I noticed on most, if not all of them, you install a long sloping front sight instead of a more square faced front sight. What is the reasoning behind this decision?

It may be asking too much, but I would love to see a picture with the camera looking down the sights.

Feedback Score
    What a beautiful piece! You Sir are a gifted individual, the craftsmanship is truely something to be proud of. Just an awsome job!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    Jason,

Very nice 1911.

I do have one question about your retro builds. Having seen several of your retro builds either here or on LTW, I noticed on most, if not all of them, you install a long sloping front sight instead of a more square faced front sight. What is the reasoning behind this decision?

It may be asking too much, but I would love to see a picture with the camera looking down the sights.
    The long ramp front sight is just more, well, retro. It's a throw back to some of the sights that were used in the past on guns from makers such as Swenson, Hoag, Chow, etc. but I've also done one or two of these guns with a "post" front sight that is silver soldered into the tenon slot... omiting the dovetail helps keep the retro look.

Swenson in particular was well known for using a ramp front sight with a red insert just like those in S&W revolvers. Our ramped front sight with the gold line insert is the same idea, but with its extra length makes a front sight that is much more visible than the smallish red ramp.

Once you mount the gun the sight picture is basically the same as a more vertical front sight... you don't really "see" all of the ramp, just what is above the rear sight notch. I'll try to post some "shooter's-eye view" pictures of the next one I do.
    Last edited by Jason Burton; 04-02-09 at 00:47.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123