Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1918 USGI Retro...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Colt 1918 USGI Retro...

This was a gun I had on display at the last SHOT Show in Orlando... and, true to the gunsmiths timeline, I’m only just now getting around to posting some pictures.

This gun was actually a special project on many levels... the gun had been with me for some time and was a gun I had shot, not a lot, but with somewhat regularity over many years past. It was also a gun that had certainly seen better days and, since its beginning at the Colt factory in 1918, probably wasn’t cared for in a manner that one would want. In 1918 the pistol started life in service to this country and, like many others, was a tool from day one. Sometime between its initial completion and now the gun had see many rounds, lots of parts swapping, and some seriously misguided modifications and general kitchen table gun-plumbing. Among many other misdeeds done to this old warrior was a the drilling and tapping of a hole at the root of the trigger guard in order to insert a machine screw to act as a really foolish way to make for an over-travel stop. The gun had also been subjected to a very backwards frame and slide fit... not a traditional “peen and squeeze”, which would have been marginally acceptable, but rather a misguided effort to - as best I could tell - realign the slide raceways to the frame rails. And the word goofy can’t even begin to describe what was going on inside the gun.

In addition to all that the gun was in a general state of disrepair. It was pitted, heavily, and had numerous large dents, dings, and couple of serious spots of misshaped metal. This was a gun that, once the Parkerizing was removed, showed a metal surface that was more like craters on the moon. So after all the cringing, wincing, and ugly discovery what better to do than build it up into a full-house Retro gun...

Starting with the easy stuff... after fixing the slide the gun got a welded frame and slide fit. A Kart barrel and EGW bushing were fit, as were the usual host of internals such as a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor and ejector, EGW firing pin stop, machined slide stop, short trigger, tool steel sear and disconnect mated to a Colt Commander hammer, and a machined mag-catch. A silver soldered ramp front sight with gold line insert was used in conjunction with a Yost Retro rear sight, the mag-well was beveled, front strap serrated with matching serrated mainspring housing, and rounding out the retro theme I fit one of our retro beavertails and our “BM” thumb safety.

The hard part... in this particular case the hardest part was the cosmetic clean up. Years of pits, dents, dings, and general abrasion - not to mention some goofy gunsmithing - made for some interesting fixes and remedies. After removing all of the cosmetic offenders I sent the gun to our good friend JR French for a freshening up of the roll-marks... JR, as usual, hit this one out of the park.

After that the rest seemed simple... polish and blue with nitre blued accents and fit ivory stocks complete with antiqued Colt medallions. Toss in some good leather and helping of 230gr hard-ball and it’s once again ready for service to its new owner.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Jason Burton; 03-28-09 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting story. Would it be possible to get a "before" pic?
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Sweet blaster!

I really like the retro beavertail. Does it ride like a Wilson or Caspian? It looks to ride higher than an S&A but lower than a Brown.

If I didn't read the description, I'd swear this was one of the reissues Colt offered a couple of years ago, and then tuned by the Heirloom Precision crew.

Really slick work.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Very nice blaster as always Jason. I too would be interested in a before picture if they are available.

No matter how much has changed for the 1911 platform in the past 100 (almost) years I still love the "retro" look. The new owner is a lucky shooter.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Beautiful blaster Jason. I'm a huge fan of the retro look done well. I have my own retro look 1911 I've slowly been getting together over the last couple of years. Nothing as pretty as that, but a hell of a shooter none the less.
    On a side note...Who sells those grip safeties? That is an awesome look.
    Last edited by murphy j; 03-28-09 at 13:00. Reason: content

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I love the clean classic lines. That grip safety is the best look for a 1911 I've ever scene. That pistol is making me drool with envy. Great combination of simplicity and function.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Wow.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very nicely done...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    I think I drooled on that at shot at little sorry, very well done!

Feedback Score
    I found Mr Frenchs site but it offered no reference to prices that I found. I have a 70s made Gov't Model that I would like to have the slide roll marks all restored on to a uniform depth and appearance for a project. What would I expect to pay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast