Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1918 USGI Retro...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the most beautiful 1911s I have ever seen.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    That is awesome.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    I really like the retro beavertail.
    Yeah I noticed that too! I grip a 1911 really high and a GI grip safety lets the web of my hand get bit. This one looks like it would stop that while maintaining the retro look.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow, that is one impressive 1911.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Very nice retro 1911.

That beavertail reminds me of Jim Hoag's.

Here's a pic of a Hoag beavertail on a 6" Longslide Jim made some years back. Looks same/similar to me.

My tastes and shooting technique require a high grip hold on Beavertail for a closer bore axis index. Unfortunately, this beavertail design does not promulgate a High Hold and close to bore axis index.

I had Jim build me several guns several years ago and he builds some fine pistols as well. IIRC, he got his training from Al Capone at King's as well.
    He use to shoot at Big Bear, Ca. when a lot of the current 1911 mods were T&E'd.

IIRC, he did the 1911 work (longslide et al) for Michael Mann's movie "THIEF" several years back when James Cann went to Gunsite to learn Modern Pistol Technique as it was called then.
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 03-30-09 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If you look upon a pistol like that, and do not smile, you have no soul.

What a terrific example of craftsmanship.

Feedback Score
    Wow, beautiful. A very special pistol.

As others have mentioned, a before pic would be fascinating.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gents, thanks for all the kind words... these Retro style guns are still proving to be a very popular build style for us. I think for a lot of folks they deliver the classic looks so many love with far more usability than either a bone stock gun or many of the customs of the ‘70s and ‘80s.

As for before pictures... unfortunately I’m not that smart. This is not the first project of this kind that I’ve done and in every instance I’ve stopped half way through to kick myself for not taking proper before photos. But I may have a photo of me shooting this gun when I was a kid, if so I’ll try to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    I really like the retro beavertail. Does it ride like a Wilson or Caspian? It looks to ride higher than an S&A but lower than a Brown.
    The shape and abbreviated nature of that part makes it fit in the hand a bit different than any of the conventional beavertail grip safeties. In terms of height it would likely be somewhere between a Wilson and Brown... but since the “tang” is much shorter it doesn’t really feel like anything else. The neat part about these grip safeties is that, even for a guy like me who grabs super high into a gun, there is no hammer bite.

Quote Originally Posted by mike240 View Post
    I found Mr Frenchs site but it offered no reference to prices that I found. I have a 70s made Gov't Model that I would like to have the slide roll marks all restored on to a uniform depth and appearance for a project. What would I expect to pay?
    Can’t tell you what JR would charge for your specific gun. I would recommend sending him an email and getting a quote from him direct.

Feedback Score
    Gorgeous pistol!

I just bought a colt WWI repro today. Will have to copy from yours.

Are the retro beaver-tails available as parts?

Feedback Score
    Very nice looking piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast