Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VA Restaurant Carry

Feedback Score

VA Restaurant Carry

Chairman Kaine strikes again.
    http://www.roanoke.com/politics/wb/199273

For the second year in a row, Kaine also vetoed a bill (SB 1035) that would allow gun owners with concealed-carry permits to have firearms in establishments that serve alcohol, as long as they don't drink. Kaine said allowing concealed weapons in such venues "puts the public, the employees and our public safety officers at risk."

Gun measures vetoed also included one that would have allowed retired law enforcement officers to have concealed guns in establishments that serve alcohol (SB 877), another that would have exempted active duty military personnel from Virginia's one-handgun-per-month purchase law (HB 1851) and one that would have required localities that conduct gun buyback programs to attempt to sell the weapons to licensed dealers (HB 2528).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And folks, please....PLEASE remember this the next time somebody on the internet tells you how we're all just cool because there are a lot of suddenly "pro-gun" democrats in elective office.

Kaine and Warner are perfect examples of why "pro-gun" goes in quotes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't lump Kaine with Warner. Warner is much better.

Kaine will be vetoing exactly two things next year and one done left town.

JW777: Kaine was never pro-gun. He gave busses to the MMMers paid for by the Richmond taxpayers.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 03-28-09 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Any chance of an override?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Don't lump Kaine with Warner. Warner is much better.

Kaine will be vetoing exactly two things next year and one done left town.

JW777: Kaine was never pro-gun. He gave busses to the MMMers paid for by the Richmond taxpayers.
    YOU know he was never pro-gun....I know he was never pro gun. Various "sportsmen" groups, however, did not seem to possess this knowledge.

Warner and Kaine's success on the gun issue was a prototype for what Obama pulled in the 2008 general election. When Kaine's time is up Macauliffe will be "pro-gun" too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mcauliffe can be whatever he wants to be and it aint gonna matter. This November will not be a good time to run as a Democrat.

ToddG Guest
    It's called concealed carry for a reason, is all I'm sayin' ...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Warner WAS actually pro-gun, though....he supported a lot of legislation in the Commonwealth when governor...

I've never heard anyone call Kaine pro-gun...ever.....

as far as an override...it will take several Senators to switch the way they voted for the bill when it initially passed, which I don't see happening

this is the second year in a row some incarnation of this bill has been vetoed by the governor

i see McAuliffe as having a snowball's chance in hell of winning this fall...he even lacks a lot of support here in NoVA

honestly, Jim Gilmore has the personality publicly of wet cardboard sometimes, or Kaine may not have won then....

either way, the man is a twit....
    VA Arms Co alumnus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's called concealed carry for a reason, is all I'm sayin' ...
    WORD!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Any chance of an override?
    Doubt it.

On the bright side, 2 of the 3 Dems running (Deeds and Moran) for Gov. next year would likely let this bill pass. Of the two, I only would bet for sure on Creigh Deeds. At the risk of disregarding JW777's wise words, he is from my back yard (Bath County) and would be turning against his entire political past if he turned pro gun-control. So if we're keeping score, that would be a 75%ish chance this bill would pass if introduced next year.

But let's go ahead and vote for McDonnell and make it 100%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast